Everyday Shaving Bowls Thread

I've bought a couple a couple of bowls with silicone lids from Tiger for £3 and I've found they're great for putting soaps into. Not sure about lathering in as they might be a bit smooth but I'm a face latherer anyway so it suits me fine.
I've posted a link to their website so you can see it. It's the bowl the cup is sitting on.

http://www.tigerstores.co.uk/tiger_home/kitchen/silicone_band_mug_1601128.html

[attachment=10467]I use a lidded ramekin from Robert Dyas. It's ideal for soaps. The ramekin has two handles on it, and it fits over a large cup which I fill with hot water. This keeps the soap or cream warm.

Attachments

• Sotd_2.jpg
    Sotd_2.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 3
The Steve Woodhead and other modern scuttles have lathering bowls on the topside, but the vintage scuttles seem to have soap bowls with drainage holes. I presume these older scuttles were designed to accommodate a soap puck but would appreciate intel. from scuttle users on how they perfor compared with modern ones with soap stored separately.

I love the look of some of the modern scuttles, but other than Steve Woodhead are there other UK producers to be recommended? But pricing on the vintage ones is good so if they perform similarly then they may be the starting point of my scuttle experiments.

Currently looking at scuttles and mugs, too. Vulvix still sell traditional scuttles

http://www.vulfixoldoriginal.com/products-category.asp?CatID=16&SubCatID=33

I guess a separate bowl would help in addition to those if you aren't a face latherer.

Tesco Pestle and Mortar. At less than £7 it is a fantastic bowl. Inside is roughened and unglazed, it is not granite and so not heavy, and it can be held in your hand.......

http://www.tesco.com/direct/white-porcelain-mortar-pestle-14cm/231-8585.prd?skuId=231-8585&pageLevel=sku&_requestid=1151782

I use an old cappuccino cup from IKEA which got chipped so not used for coffee anymore. Its the idea size for my brush and is easy to hold in the hand or by the handle. One of the first decisions I made when exploring de shaving was not to spend a fortune on a bowl!

I got a round plastic food saver from Wilkinsons, well 3 actually for less than a quid. I pushed a trumper soap puck into one and this is performing brilliantly as my work bowl. I know it's not as big as some would like, but I don't have loads of space. It is also easy to clean, not going to break and had a lid too!

jmsodpc said:
i have been using a $1.50 black plastic salsa bowl from walmart as my lather bowl.
holds enough lather and is slightly rough inside.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Its great seeing the 'Man' bowls....am wondering whether to splash out as this shaving lark is getting addictive, became a chore with carts but now I love perfecting a smooth shave.....

Robah said:
Hi fellow DE shavers, thought I would mark my first post with a contribution.

Firstly, I have been disappointed in the cost and small size of shaving bowls, so have been looking out for something at a small budget and easy to use with a decent size.

So on a trip to my local asda I found this:

Yep, I know it is a dessert bowl but its easy to handle, a good size, thick glass and cost just £1.25........I managed to get 3 Palmolive sticks into it too at a cost of 49p per stick...sooo, less than a can of shave gel and will last months with quality lather.

you can see its a decent size and grip in my hand. And you can get various colours:

I also found these ramekins in Asda for £1.00 each and are a good size and easy to hold with a lip on the side at each end. Various colours too and I managed to get 2 Arko sticks into it which was easy to fit as it moulds like putty;

I have shown a pic below for a good Idea of size compared to other items;

Thanks for viewing my first post and am keen to see what other people are using on a budget which is also effective

Thanks for that.

Because of this thread about 2 weeks ago I went to Asda and bought a red and green one of these. They are perfick!!

barberbob said:
Robah said:
Hi fellow DE shavers, thought I would mark my first post with a contribution.

Firstly, I have been disappointed in the cost and small size of shaving bowls, so have been looking out for something at a small budget and easy to use with a decent size.

So on a trip to my local asda I found this:

Yep, I know it is a dessert bowl but its easy to handle, a good size, thick glass and cost just £1.25........I managed to get 3 Palmolive sticks into it too at a cost of 49p per stick...sooo, less than a can of shave gel and will last months with quality lather.

you can see its a decent size and grip in my hand. And you can get various colours:

I also found these ramekins in Asda for £1.00 each and are a good size and easy to hold with a lip on the side at each end. Various colours too and I managed to get 2 Arko sticks into it which was easy to fit as it moulds like putty;

I have shown a pic below for a good Idea of size compared to other items;

Thanks for viewing my first post and am keen to see what other people are using on a budget which is also effective

Thanks for that.

Because of this thread about 2 weeks ago I went to Asda and bought a red and green one of these. They are perfick!!

that's great news....I think they are just the job! happy to help

The EJ shaving set SWMBO bought me for Xmas (which started my current obsession) has a great shaving bowl with it; a little small, but very nice. For travelling, I use a 4" stainless steel ramekin which I get great lather from.

That said, when in Devon/Cornwall over the last couple of weeks we visited a very nice pottery in Spreyton & I bought a lovely little bowl there for £5.00 - not used yet, but textured on the inside & about 5" diameter.

I looked at it & SWMBO asked what I wanted it for... I looked at her & she just sighed & walked away :icon_lol:

Robah said:
how about getting a waterbut and collecting rainwater?

Tried that once; great lather, but couldn't quite reach to the bottom with the brush.

Back
Top Bottom