Exotic Wood for scales

Does anyone know of a UK based supplier that will supply exotic woods 3 to 5mm thick for scales?

If not, any tips on where I might be able to source some from would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rob

Don't know wether they cut to that sort of size...But John Boddy at Boroughbridge in North Yorkshire, is a timber yard and a bit...the indoor exotic timber shed is a wonderland for anybody who likes exotic timber...My Late Father in Law and I , have spent many a happy hour browsing the timber stocks there....But really you need to look at first hand and select exactly the pieces you want.....there are so many wonderful bits of wood in that very large timber shed....

Tel......01423 322370.....they also have a web site....

Hi Rob, as William said i doubt anyone will cut you wooden blanks as thin as 2mm or 3mm, as long as you can get a blank to the size of 160mm X 50mm X 5mm you can then cover one side with a piece of masking tape, then find a perfectly flat board now stick the masking tape side piece of wood with double sided tape to the board and hand sand with a sanding block, remove masking when you have the required finish, now repeat the other side. takes a fair bit of elbow grease but it's easily done.

Jamie.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Hi Rob, as William said i doubt anyone will cut you wooden blanks as thin as 2mm or 3mm, as long as you can get a blank to the size of 160mm X 50mm X 5mm you can then cover one side with a piece of masking tape, then find a perfectly flat board now stick the masking tape side piece of wood with double sided tape to the board and hand sand with a sanding block, remove masking when you have the required finish, now repeat the other side. takes a fair bit of elbow grease but it's easily done.

Jamie.

Thanks for the tip Jamie. I have a belt and disk sander so thinning to size is no problem - I just don't have a supplier at the moment.

Hi Rob i will give you a link to a custom knife supplies who i've used a few times, but you will need to contact him first and ask him to cut the blanks to size because knife scales are smaller, hope you have some luck.
http://woodandknifesupply.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_2_6

Jamie.

Hi Rob
Surfing the net found this site Timberline, Unit 7, Munday Industrial Estate, 58-66 Morley Road, Tonbridge, Kent TN9 1RP . Visited them last week and bought some Sonokeling rosewood in 4 mm. Sufficient for approx 14 pr scales at a cost of approx £10. They have a web site exotichardwoods.co.uk. Look for boxmakers wood under wood list tab. Hope this is of interest.

Thanks so much and what a great find. I've been using a sanding drom to get down from about 8mm so this will save lots of time.

Was your 4 mm sheet very flat?

I have also got some Honduran Mahogany and African Padauk, not put a square to it but appears flat to the eye. Fiinish is pretty good as well so should make final finishing fairly easy.

Back
Top Bottom