Face care

antdad said:
Soap doesn't soften hair water does otherwise barbers for generations have been wasting their time prepping with a hot towel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_conditioner

Barbers make money on providing 'traditional' service, that's all.

P.S. 'prepping' with cold water works much better too, all this hot towel stuff is as useful as hysteresis.

A hot towel is just another means of hydrating and therefore softening the beard. If a barber was a sadist as well as a rotten businessmen he may well offer cold towel shaves but then you'd be his only customer.

That link just confirms what I already know from my scratchy O level chemistry...conditioner IS just a slippery coating and makes hair feel soft rather than soften. Look it up (not wiki) or try shaving just using conditioner and no water at all, see how you get on.

Just use Dove hand wash, fairly gentle, and because it gives a good lather, I tend to rinse off with lots of hot water,which helps the beard softening process. Had been trying TH skin protector preshave, but found it made precious little difference either way.

AD you're bringing in irrelevant things, I wasn't talking about shaving with a conditioner but about it's hair softening properties. And softening is not what contributes towards a good shave - it's lubrication and cushion of the lather. Try shaving with pure water then, see how it goes.

I don't really see how you can discriminate between using cold water and hot toweling when it comes to prepping your beard, other than temperature you are still softening the beard using water which was always my point.

As for my understanding of your post of a wiki link to hair conditioner because you believe that hot toweling is just done for traditions sake. I could only assume by that link that you feel that one could soften the beard just as well using conditioner. Well as I said conditioner doesn't soften hair it simply gives the appearance and feel of it being soft by giving it a coating, wet hair is weakened which is why it breaks so much more readily and conditioned hair is well "conditioned". I can't explain it anymore simply than that and this is taken from your wiki link.

Pack conditioners, are heavy and thick, with a high content of surfactants able to bind to the hair structure and "glue" the hair surface scales together. These are usually applied to the hair for a longer time. The surfactants are based on long straight aliphatic chains similar to saturated fatty acids. Their molecules have a tendency to crystallize easily, giving the conditioner higher viscosity, and they tend to form thicker layers on the hair surface.
Leave-in conditioners are thinner and have different surfactants which add only a little material to the hair. They are based on unsaturated chains, which are bent rather than straight. This shape makes them less prone to crystallizing, making a lighter, less viscous mixture and providing significantly thinner layer on the hair. The difference between leave-in and pack conditioners is similar to the difference between fats and oils.

As for softening the beard not contributing to a good shave as I said you are welcome to not use any water at all and see how you get on which was my point about using conditioner only. It wouldn't be much different to using a preshave oil, you could apply it dry and possibly shave with it successfully but I'm not sure you'd really want to.

This video proves that using conditioner is a passable alternative to lather. Whether it does soften hair or not is another matter.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZgAqyn0xeA&feature=plcp[/video]

clinique face wash here.

its reasonably priced is (at £14 but it lasts forever). Is not soap based so doesnt dry out the skin, and provides a nice smooth base for a shave. I use the version for oily skin, as I have issues with oil, but the standard version is also excellent. I used to suffer frequent acne breakouts, but since switching to a decent skincare regime from clinique, i havent had a single issue.:

-wash with clinique extra strength face wash.
-shave (not every day)
-balm of choice (usually to match cream, or if not available, i use some clinique post shave healer)
-Clinique M-Gel Moisturiser (again, i use the gel because i have oil issues, but in reality the standard lotion, is brilliant and i may switch)
-Clinique stay matte hydrator (once again, something to kill the oil issue i have across forehead and nose, this stuff knocks it back for a few hours, and i use it twice a day).

For me, staying away from soap, using a good moisturiser and following a routine, has kept my skin healthier than it ever has been. Even on its own the fash wash was a superb step for me. I'd tried almost everything else.

Back
Top Bottom