Face vs bowl, that old chestnut!

I used to load up in the product bowl and face lather, never a problem, I then got drawn into the bowl lathering gig. Lather was very very good but I didn't seem to get the "Slickness" people were raving about when reviewing/talking about soaps. I recently returned to what I was doing and and the "slickness" has magically re-appeared, my Steve Woodhead mug is now an ornament.

I never really got on with face lathering until I was forced into it recently on a work trip when I was without bowl for 2 weeks.
The lather wasn't as plentiful or impressive looking but I did get much better smoother shaves. Must be the extra softening and conditioning your stubble gets whilst face lathering.

I did struggle to eek out the lather for 3 passes doing it that way, though.

All I can say is I prefer face lathering for efficiency and speed, but getting my hands on a Woodhead scuttle has tipped the balance for long, lazy shave days.

The advantages of a bowl to me are that the water content of the lather is easier to control and there is also the ability to squeeze lather against the sides and incorporate it in to the whole. I know you could do this in your hand - I just prefer not to do that as I use a straight and need dry hands for control and skin stretching.
The other advantage is warm lather for multiple passes.

These are of course, purely personal opinions.:D

Back
Top Bottom