Fairly decent v the worst blade I have ever used

Shark super stainless blade...yellow and red box/wrapper with a blue shark logo...not a bad shave/perfectly acceptable.

V Supermax, super stainless. In blue, red and silver box/wrapper. Had brown discolouration on blade, (dunno if it was rust but it wouldn't wipe off). Blunt as hell. Dunno when or where I got these. Will try one more blade from a new box. Judgement currently reserved.

If the discolouration was on the middle of the blade it could just be the glue holding it to the wrapper. If it's on the shaving edge I wouldn't use it.
They get the job done but aren't able to get you a close shave. Sharks are a decent mid range blade but with the bonus of being very cheap if you shop around

i think we should compile a list of all the blades it's just not worth wasting your time with.

i used the sharks and didnt think much of them and have a stash of treets and trigs that will probably sit there until the blade armageddon

flip-68 said:
i think we should compile a list of all the blades it's just not worth wasting your time with.

i used the sharks and didnt think much of them and have a stash of treets and trigs that will probably sit there until the blade armageddon

Problem with a list like this is that one man's BBS shave blade might be someone else's face hacker. A case in point being Derby and Merkur blades, which to many are unusable, but some people find them perfectly acceptable.

Folks that refer to "sharks" collectively usually haven't tried both, I didn't like the stainless either but I found the super chrome to be a good match in an open comb.

There's so many blades out there, that testing them is difficult. You have to use several of each blade to make sure you don't get "good" ones, and to make sure they aren't variable. You have to use each one 3 or 4 times and keep the same kit etc. So you're looking at perhaps 2 weeks to test a blade. As soon as you change equipment then you need to retest (within reason).

That means if there's 100 different blades easily obtainable then we've got 4 years to test them... and during that 4 years what if you feel your technique has improved. Perhaps the feather blade you tried 3 and a half years ago that you found cut through the hairs but sadly sliced up your face might be worthwhile trying again now?

That's why I'm cutting right down and trying what NTS suggests as good blades. I'll likely try all of what he rates as very good blades overall, and all of what he rates as very sharp (even if he doesn't like them in other ways). I'll leave out blades not in production...

Still that's 10-15 different blades so I'll take a long time to really choose. I'm also not being overly scientific about it.

I think we all rely on each other to recommend blades as either good or bad, to narrow it all down.

Personally i find that the cost of the blade doesn't matter. I don't think any blades cost more than about 25p in bulk. So shaving nearly every day and changing blade after 3 shaves is 100 blades a year... or £25 a year. Saving a tenner a year by going for cheaper blades doesn't make sense to me. On the other hand some people like to find hidden gems, and good luck to them. I do like paying as little as possible for what I want, but I do have expensive tastes.

There's just no telling! I found two of the Chinese blades to be so outstandingly good I thought everyone would rate them highly - but some found them very uncomfortable while others agreed with my perception. NTS scored them poorly on his spreadsheet. I ran out of superlatives.

After (good) pricing they score 15 which isn't bad. I like the Swordfish (Jianyu) better. The Gillette Super Blue was very very good but only for one shave. See tonight's SOTD for similar results.

Download it and take out the columns out that you don't need. You may have seen on the spreadsheet's thread that I replied to your post about it getting f***ed up, probably by my phone. Not very happy at the moment!

Halk said:
There's so many blades out there, that testing them is difficult.

I'm cutting right down and trying what NTS suggests as good blades. I'll likely try all of what he rates as very good blades overall, and all of what he rates as very sharp (even if he doesn't like them in other ways). I'll leave out blades not in production...

I think we all rely on each other to recommend blades as either good or bad, to narrow it all down.

You're right about having other members views to give us a sort of imperfect guidline. It's especially handy when a blade's either very good or very bad and you get so many one sided reviews either way.

Now when you go by only one person's opinion when it comes to blade choosing, you need to make sure his tastes and opinions are the same as yours, or at least how he looks at blades.

There's a few guys here who I know describe razors or blades in a similar way as me. i can read their ideas and figure the results would very possibly be the same for me. There's also guys here who I know has a different ideas than me on what's good or aggressive or sharp. I take their reviews with some suspicion in my head.

Martin

NotTheStig said:
Download it and take out the columns out that you don't need. You may have seen on the spreadsheet's thread that I replied to your post about it getting f***ed up, probably by my phone. Not very happy at the moment!

Ah yeah, I see the formula that you've used now.

Did you add extra fields after you started? I'm not sure but is it possible you've not rated all the blades in all the criteria?

Back
Top Bottom