'Fatboy' Back From the Dead

Recently, I bought another Gillette 'Faboy' that was in real rough shape and obviously was bent from being dropped. It takes a lot to really ruin these as they were built like a Panzer. As well, I genuinely like 'rescuing' these sometimes if I think they can be saved. :)

Before:

After:

The hinges on both sides of the T-bar were bent, inverse of each other. The actual T-bar itself was bent and the one safety bar was slightly bent.

Thanks, all. I shaved with it tonight using a Personna 74 blade that had been used by me eight times prior. That was all she wrote as I can only get these to go 7 or 8 times. The blade petered out. I changed mid-shave to a once used Sputnik and what a difference!! I find that a '5' setting works well for me. They are really a nifty razor, but not as practical as say the 'Slim' or Super Adjustable IMO. This is my third 'Fatboy' and they will all sit in storage for now to be frank. I am on a 'Flare Tip' Rocket kick for now and have finally cornered every version. I think it's a far more practical daily DE razor to be honest.

As a note: I didn't do all the work here to be honest. I had help as although I can take one apart I loathe doing it.

You have done a fantastic job on that BM!.
Nice to see someone strip it for a clean too!.As good as multiple baths in one mixture or another in an ultrasonic,nothing beats a total strip down.How much gunk on the inside?,little,or lots?.

...As good as multiple baths in one mixture or another in an ultrasonic,nothing beats a total strip down.How much gunk on the inside?,little,or lots?.

Not as much as one would think. Then again, it was in the ultrasonic for hours with dish soap & water as well as one slightly less than 15 mins. cycle with diluted apple cider vinegar.

Not as much as one would think. Then again, it was in the ultrasonic for hours with dish soap & water as well as one slightly less than 15 mins. cycle with diluted apple cider vinegar.
My recently acquired 58 Executive was like that,virtually spotless on the inside,but obviously well used..But a recent 70 '89 SA,with perfect plating,was totally full of lime scale!.
Must be down the the calcium content of the water in the region it was used me thinks....

Back
Top Bottom