Fatboy Maintenance

Edit : I'll rewrite this...

I bought a Fatboy on eBay, not mint/shiny condition but very serviceable.

However something isn't right with it mechanically. The clicky dial sounds fine when I turn it, the doors open and close correctly too.

However when the doors are fully closed and the knob is tightened it doesn't work - the blade is pulled far too close to the comb, even on setting 9 it's far too close to the comb.

I can (and did) get a shave out of it by not fully tightening the knob, however this isn't ideal and the razor could easily change from a passive angle to a very aggressive angle and slice me to ribbons.

Is anyone aware of this type of problem with a fatboy and how to fix it? It is the normal fatboy, and not the red dot one.

I don't want to send it back to the vendor on eBay, who I believe sold it to me in good faith, without at least trying to fix the issue.

it may have been underclocked, from what i've read you can adjust it with a paperclip on the red clicker. to move it from 9 to the next range up.

have a look at some pics of other fatboy's and see if the adjuster is at the same height on the handle as yours.

I think I'll try to fix the 'clocking' on it, but I think taking it apart is a bit risky. I can return it to the guy I got it from and point him in that Youtube video's direction, but I'd be a little worried if I stripped it down I might not be able to get it back together, and I might not even fix it....

Halk said:
I think I'll try to fix the 'clocking' on it, but I think taking it apart is a bit risky. I can return it to the guy I got it from and point him in that Youtube video's direction,

Hi there,

See if this link helps at all. If not, then send the razor back. You're right about not wanting to mess with it if you can get the refund.

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-14733.html?highlight=overclock

Sounds like it's underclocked to me, but who knows.

Martin

Hi Martin,

I actually fixed it as you were typing that. Or at least I seem to have fixed it.. I won't know until I try a proper shave. Thanks though.

Since you're so wise on these though... :)

It was my intent to get this fatboy plated by Restored Razors... I have a taste for things being nice and shiny. I don't want to get a shabby one replated if it's going to end up shabby...

What can I be doing to my razor to make sure it's the right one before I get it replated?

The function is smooth, I've boiled it with a bit of baking soda and then oiled it slightly, I've scrubbed it clean and I'm going to use a shade of metal polish to bring the head to a shine. There are no deep scratches. A little bit of brassing on the bottom knob... I will check tonight that it gives a good shave.

Is there anything else I should be doing? Does Dave strip the razors down when he replates them, because I'm thinking it'd be a good idea to get it absolutely pristine inside as well as out.

Halk said:
Hi Martin,

I actually fixed it as you were typing that. Or at least I seem to have fixed it.. I won't know until I try a proper shave. Thanks though.

It was my intent to get this fatboy plated by Restored Razors... I have a taste for things being nice and shiny. I don't want to get a shabby one replated if it's going to end up shabby...

What can I be doing to my razor to make sure it's the right one before I get it replated?

Is there anything else I should be doing? Does Dave strip the razors down when he replates them, because I'm thinking it'd be a good idea to get it absolutely pristine inside as well as out.

Sounds like you mighta solved the problem.....good luck on your next shave. Over/under clocking isn't that uncommon for some reason.

Yeah, using a razor that shines like new and in great mechanical shape is a good goal to have. Nice having something like that in your hand during the shave. I can't speak for Dave, but I know two vendors who offer replating service Stateside don't take em apart first. You gotta figure there's often some gunk inside that never gets removed.

The best way to tell if you have the right razor for replating is to try another Fatboy. I'm being serious here. Not all of these shave the same, and that's a fact. Before spending the cash, you need to compare that one with another. Right now you don't have a reference point for what they're supposed to shave like.

Heh, that's probably not what you wanna hear, but you asked. Who knows, maybe you'll get an amazing shave with your razor and decide it's exactly what you want. You could also put your name on the pass around list if you like.

Martin

Oh yeah, one thing to notice is how each side shaves. Sometimes the performance isn't the same, which is also not an uncommon issue with Gillette adjustables. Make sure the blade lines up evenly with the guard bar. Also be sure and give the TTO that extra 1/4 twist to lock the blade in place.

Thanks Martin. Nothing there I wasn't aware of - which is reassuring.

I think I know why under/overclocking might happen. I expect people pick it up and try to go the wrong way from nine, or one. All it takes is to happen once in the 50 years since it was made and that's it forever until someone fixes it. I've not tried but I suspect it's possible/easy to force it to happen, without depressing the spring by just application of force. I read somewhere that the little red spring is only there to produce a clicky sound and prevent over/under, given how small it is then I don't imagine it's difficult to overpower.

I have checked to see how even the gap is etc and even under a magnifying glass it is nice and even - I will be checking in very great detail, with macro photos etc before I do anything with it.

I'll need to use it several times to get used to it.

I'm tempted to get it nickel plated, which is about $40, including postage there and back. That'd be a sort of start off thing, once I've used it a few times, but before I pay up for Rhodium. However I think I'm best just to live with a slightly dull, and a tiny bit corroded razor until I decide to go the whole hog and get it Rhodium done. I have a slim which is fairly shiny and in amazing condition for it's age, but I'm expecting better things from the Fatboy. I think I'd like to have the modern razor (with the custom handle which is on it's way to me), and a Fatboy. Both in Rhodium, on rhodium plated stands... so I don't think a nickel plate is a smart idea until I settle on a razor.

Since I don't think I'll get the razor plated for a while, the gunk inside isn't a big deal, I probably shifted some of it when I boiled the razor in baking soda last night. I could boil it again tonight as it spent today soaking in penetrating spray oil and maybe get rid of more!

It's so tempting to spend a bit of money though!

Thanks for your help Martin.

Halk said:
Thanks Martin. Nothing there I wasn't aware of - which is reassuring.

I have checked to see how even the gap is etc and even under a magnifying glass it is nice and even - I will be checking in very great detail, with macro photos etc before I do anything with it.

I think I'm best just to live with a slightly dull, and a tiny bit corroded razor until I decide to go the whole hog and get it Rhodium done. I have a slim which is fairly shiny and in amazing condition for it's age, but I'm expecting better things from the Fatboy.

Ok good, as long as I didn't put you off. The razor's probably gonna shave just fine, especially since you checked it so well.

I had a Fatboy plated in rhodium and it looked great! More shiny than nickel, with a little bit of a 'white' tinge to it. That's the way to go when you're ready.

Keep in mind that about half the people who use a Slim and Fatboy will prefer the Slim. You'll probably see some difference between em, but who knows which one will fit you better without trying em both.

Martin

I've just stripped my two Fat Boy's, one had just a slight greying from soap residue which wiped off with a wet cloth. It has now been polished and reassembled. Will be shaving with it tomorrow morning.

Razor two was filthy inside, I had to punch the pieces apart, due to congealed soap and god knows what sticking them all together. Actually had to scrape all the pieces with a blunt knife to clear the muck, this one is still in bits until I decide whether to have it plated or not.

I used this here for my tutorial.

Warning, unless the numbered adjusting knob is really worn it won't go past the spring. Once you see inside you'll see why, what I did was use a wood toothpick to depress the spring while turning the knob past the stop. The stop seems to go against the side of the spring each way, whereas the click 1 -9 just rides on the raised bit in the centre.

I appreciate you're a noodley God and you have incredible powers.... I've read that and found it a little daunting - how easy was assembly?

Edit : Tam, I'd like to hear anything and everything you have to say about it... how difficult it was, what difference you notice afterwards, if you think there's any potential for damage... anything at all ;)

GOG said:
I used this here for my tutorial.

So Tam, that was you? I saw that recently, but there wasn't a name I could put to it.

Man, that thing is pretty darn handy. Seems like something that would be a good resource to have access to. Maybe there would be a permanent spot for that in the forum somewhere.

Heh, I'm still not gonna ever attempt it myself though.

Well, I've had a shave with it. Result? A little more irritation than usual, a nearly perfect finish, just a touch of missed area to the right and left of my chin.

That's me using a blade I'm not familiar with (Gillette thin) and doing no prep other than coming out of the bath 15 minutes before I shaved.

I did have to turn up the dial from 4 to get my stubborn neck hairs - I stuck it to 7 which in retrospect might have been higher than was needed to get them. I did do extra passes. I'm using my kitchen sink as my bathroom is being decorated... so I think all of those contribute to the slightly below par shave.

In other words I have no reason at all to believe the Fatboy isn't working. My only tiny gripe, and this might be common with all of them for all I know, is that the blade can sometimes move away from where it should be, meaning the silo doors won't close until I nudge the blade back into position. I've not had that with the slim before.

Success :)

Back
Top Bottom