Fatip Razor - Any good?

I normally use a Merkur HD, and am generally very happy with it. I get a close shave from a two pass routine. Executive Shaving had the Fatip in stock, and being intrigued by trying an OC design, I decided to give it a go. So this morning I gave it it's debut. The supporting cast:

Simpsons Duke 2 in Best
TOBS Lemon & Lime
Feather blade
Alum block
Styptic pencil
Groomed ASB (an entry-level Creightons product branded for ASDA)

The finish of the razor is entirely functional, it has the machined look of something that's designed for using not for looking at. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think the chrome is perfect, but the brass below is somewhat nicked and dinged. It's almost as if Fatip have tried to achieve some aging effect on the razor. The area that would come in contact with the face is perfect.

The other thing you notice about the razor is that it is head heavy. This is noticeable if you hold the razor in the horizontal position, but much less so when using it at the proper angle, where head heavy should surely be an advantage?

So I did two passes, 1 x N-S and 1 x S-N as is my norm, plus touch ups. The experience was very different from the HD. I was constantly aware I needed to be taking care, and there is no doubt the shave was closer. Otherwise, I did nothing different, just went for it. The sound of bristles being cut was much greater than with the HD. I don't have a particularly heavy beard, but see no reason why I couldn't use this every day. Very pleased I bought this.

i have the piccolo and think it is an excellent razor - it has a good weight and does its job well.

if anyone is considering buying one, i'd say go for it - it's definitely worth the money.

Back
Top Bottom