Favourite Dickens.

I've read several, but so long ago that I retain only an outline of the plots. I've decided to reread a few and add some more to my list. I'm reading Great Expectations right now. And what a great book it is. My previous two were Bleak House and Hard Times.

So would anyone care to add some suggestions about Dickens - do you have a favourite, or two?

Is there such a thing as a average Dickens book, not only great books, but they do transfer to the TV and make some amazing period drama from those books little Dorit is a lovely story, and of course the one you are reading now Great expectations, and gauranteed happy ending. I love Dickens absolutely brilliant.

Jamie.

Fido said:
I've read several, but so long ago that I retain only an outline of the plots. I've decided to reread a few and add some more to my list. I'm reading Great Expectations right now. And what a great book it is. My previous two were Bleak House and Hard Times.

So would anyone care to add some suggestions about Dickens - do you have a favourite, or two?

David Copperfield, Oliver Twist, Pickwick Papers and Great Expectations get my vote, and probably in that order. I bagged a complete leather bound set last year from a local charity shop for £25, and slowly going to work my way through them all. I read a lot of them years ago, and have re-read David Copperfield several times over the years.

Happy Reading.....

pugh-the-special-one said:
Is there such a thing as a average Dickens book, not only great books, but they do transfer to the TV and make some amazing period drama from those books little Dorit is a lovely story, and of course the one you are reading now Great expectations, and gauranteed happy ending. I love Dickens absolutely brilliant.

Jamie.

I saw the BBC adaptation og Great Expectations and it was totally at odds with the book (as I remember it) in that Pip got the girl in the end. I'm sure the book did not have this happy ending but I'll have check on that.

Bleak House and Hard Times are my favourites and I thought the BBC adaptation of Bleak House a few years ago was absolutely spot on.

I have really enjoyed BBC Radio 4's adaptation of Bleak Expectations. So gritty with fabulous characterisation. I asked for the novel at my local library but they just laughed at me. :icon_rolleyes:

Thanks for these suggestions.

I'm tempted to have a major Dickens season. I love tackling a big reading venture. I read Emile Zola's twenty novel Les Rougon-Macquart a few years ago, followed by - A Dance to the Music of Time, the twelve-volume cycle of novels by Anthony Powell. I eventually gave up on Gibbon's - The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Too depressing!

Fido said:
I read Emile Zola's twenty novel Les Rougon-Macquart a few years ago

If you like Zola Fido, I can thoroughly recommend Balzac's series of novels comprising 'The Human Comedy', particularly 'Old Goriot', 'A Harlot High And Low', and 'Lost Illusions'.

It's been years since I read them, but they made a lasting impression, and I must dip, in again sometime......

pmorris4562 said:
Fido said:
I read Emile Zola's twenty novel Les Rougon-Macquart a few years ago

If you like Zola Fido, I can thoroughly recommend Balzac's series of novels comprising 'The Human Comedy', particularly 'Old Goriot', 'A Harlot High And Low', and 'Lost Illusions'.

It's been years since I read them, but they made a lasting impression, and I must dip, in again sometime......

I'll pop it on my list!

Fido said:

What's doin Petey,

Well, maybe my avatar of Jack Dawkins will tip you to my favorite Dickens novel. The image is actually a very old Players Cigarette trading card that I saw years ago and it's been used occasionally on various forums. The guy looks a little dodgy, don't he?

You know, there's been some very good movies made from this book over the years, and at least one of em (from the 1960s) has some great songs ( You've got to pick a pocket or two). You gotta role (Fagin) that actors must love to portray. It's been done by a bunch of famous people.

You mighta noticed that tattoo avatar I use sometimes. That ones' Jack Wild when he portrayed Jack Dawkins quite a while back. Heh, no, it's not my tat.

Martin

Attachments

• 3632368634b537da9b93c7.jpg
    3632368634b537da9b93c7.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 67
Great expectations for me. Utterley absorbing and timeless. The themes remain in any era. Everyone in their life struggles to hold on to their roots/past whilst trying to better themselves but at what cost? Loss of friends, family and what is important.

Dickens does human struggle so well.

Lose the beard said:
I've never read any Dickens, but I've just downloaded Great Expectations onto my kindle, I will get cracking on it tomorrow.

You will probably catch me up. I like to plod my way through Dickens. I'm still on Pip's early visits to Miss Havisham.

Back
Top Bottom