Favourite Dickens.

I highly recommend using
http://www.sparknotes.com/
or similar when reading Dickens. To have the works contextualised is wonderful in my opinion.
Like Gullivers Travels, many are political observations that have been gutted for the kids/entertainment markets. I can't remember/find the list of "episodes" for Dickens books, but at school we read some with the original "cliffhangers", which we mostly enjoyed. Our Lit teacher was connected in some way.
love'n'joy
Lloyd

Sadly I was forced to read Dickens at school, as a result of my obstinate contrary nature I of course forced myself to dislike it.

I don't recall any Dickens that I know I have read, so I'm free to read the whole lot. I'm off to Florida in just under two weeks and I tend to do a lot of reading when I'm relaxing out there. I believe I shall be grabbing a collection of Dickens to read - and I was just thinking that I needed to get hold of some books for the holiday.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread Lloyd, it's been rather useful!

I'd forgotten about this. I read David Copperfield after Great Expectations. Great book. But Copperfield was a bit of a whimp I thought.

Wading through several books about the Mitfords now.

Back
Top Bottom