Feather AS-D2 has landed

Ok I just tried the shave a little wetter than normal.
I have to be honest and say for me I found the shave the same. Flats of the cheek, chin are smooth but the parts on my lower right and left cheek bones are still a bit rough to touch.
I love the razor, its nice but the iKon standard head version that I was using does give me a smoother finish.
Its as if the areas I always struggle with are rougher with the Feather. I did a 3 pass and tried those rough areas a few more times and at the moment I can't get them smooth.
I can hear it cutting fine but just can't seem to crack those areas.

Its real comfortable and the shave does me fine but I'm not sure I would guarantee a super smooth finish with this. Maybe its my hair type, shape of my face but just can't get that real deadly smooth finish. still its nice and comfortable and that's what I think this razor portrays to me.

Minipeace said:
I have to be honest and say for me I found the shave the same. Flats of the cheek, chin are smooth but the parts on my lower right and left cheek bones are still a bit rough to touch.
I love the razor, its nice but the iKon standard head version that I was using does give me a smoother finish.
Its as if the areas I always struggle with are rougher with the Feather. I did a 3 pass and tried those rough areas a few more times and at the moment I can't get them smooth.

Its real comfortable and the shave does me fine but I'm not sure I would guarantee a super smooth finish with this. Maybe its my hair type, shape of my face but just can't get that real deadly smooth finish. still its nice and comfortable and that's what I think this razor portrays to me.

I sometimes struggle with the area just under my jaw. My solution is to pull the skin upwards slightly so that it sits on the jawbone instead of under it.

chrisbell said:
Minipeace said:

I sometimes struggle with the area just under my jaw. My solution is to pull the skin upwards slightly so that it sits on the jawbone instead of under it.

Big thanks again Chris.
In all the years I shaved with a Mach3 I never really touched my self round those areas ( yes that sounds so wrong:icon_cry2:) I can't remember what kind of shave I got, I use to hate it so just did a quick shave with no care in the world.
Now I'm obsessed with getting a nice close shave. Must be part of the addiction to DE's!!

The area under my jaw... yes... it's a real bugger!. I tend to shave around it on my second pass (ATG) and then soap it up again and give it special attention. I'll try the Chrisbell stretchy technique next time

chrisbell said:

Chrisbell has a good point, didn't think of mentioning this as I'm so used to stretching the skin from using straight razors that I do it without thinking about it. All I can say is that even the trouble area's become BBS in 3 passes with this razor. (I don't mean to say you have bad technique or anything, it often happens that a razor is absolutely top notch for one user and just so so for another)

Snuff said:
chrisbell said:

Chrisbell has a good point, didn't think of mentioning this as I'm so used to stretching the skin from using straight razors that I do it without thinking about it. All I can say is that even the trouble area's become BBS in 3 passes with this razor. (I don't mean to say you have bad technique or anything, it often happens that a razor is absolutely top notch for one user and just so so for another)

No I think my technique has a lot to be desired as I'm not that good but getting better. If anything the razor has helped as I'm able to go in different directions without the fear of tugging away or nicks.

I shall be pulling my face in all directions next time !!

Minipeace said:
Snuff said:
chrisbell said:

No I think my technique has a lot to be desired as I'm not that good but getting better. If anything the razor has helped as I'm able to go in different directions without the fear of tugging away or nicks.

Don't go too mad with pulling - you only need to gently lift the skin that sits just below the jaw enough so that it pops up onto the jawbone. I'd suggest not pulling anywhere else given that you seem to be getting fairly close otherwise.

chrisbell said:
Minipeace said:
Snuff said:
chrisbell said:

Don't go too mad with pulling - you only need to gently lift the skin that sits just below the jaw enough so that it pops up onto the jawbone. I'd suggest not pulling anywhere else given that you seem to be getting fairly close otherwise.

Cheers
Glad you told me that as I would not doubt gone for the face lift type pull.

Minipeace said:
chrisbell said:
Minipeace said:
Snuff said:
chrisbell said:

Cheers
Glad you told me that as I would not doubt gone for the face lift type pull.

It's really more of a case of flattening a highly curved surface or lifting the skin to a position where it's easier to shave.

Re: RE: Feather AS-D2 has landed

Garbe said:
Snuff said:
I got mine yesterday and this one is a great shaver, the first model just didn't shave at all. 3 passes on the face, no touch ups needed, couldn't be more BBS, two passes on the head same result. For me it shaves just as close after 3 passes as my R41 but in a very smooth way, I used a Feather blade btw. Very happy with it.

Now this is really interesting, as you've used the as-d1

Yes, very interesting, I can feel my RAD returning.

Me too, I've got the as-d1 but I'm now feeling the need to get the new one.

So much for DE being a saving £ exercise.

Just tried the old pull the skin up and its maybe a touch better buts still a little rough. The rest of me is smooth so its just those areas either side that need working on.

I even pulled my Mach3 out and ran over the areas after i had shaved with the feather and that made no difference.

Perhaps I'm being too fussy on those areas and I've never noticed them in the past before switching to a DE. Pretty damn pleased though, very comfortable shave.
I'm thinking I've found the razor that suits me :)

Minipeace said:
Just tried the old pull the skin up and its maybe a touch better buts still a little rough. The rest of me is smooth so its just those areas either side that need working on.

I even pulled my Mach3 out and ran over the areas after i had shaved with the feather and that made no difference.

Perhaps I'm being too fussy on those areas and I've never noticed them in the past before switching to a DE. Pretty damn pleased though, very comfortable shave.

Sounds as though it's an area where you'll have to accept a bit of roughness for now. Once you get to the stage of being an experienced DE shaver, you might want to try a bit of blade buffing or J-hooking in that area.:icon_razz:

chrisbell said:
Minipeace said:

Sounds as though it's an area where you'll have to accept a bit of roughness for now. Once you get to the stage of being an experienced DE shaver, you might want to try a bit of blade buffing or J-hooking in that area.:icon_razz:

Sounds good to me :) just need to master my basics then step up a gear.

The area just under the jaw for me gets BBS once lifted/flattened by making faces and doing a xtg pass.

That bit would grow back quickest on my beard before I started the above.

Garbe said:
The area just under the jaw for me gets BBS once lifted/flattened by making faces and doing a xtg pass.

That bit would grow back quickest on my beard.

Hehe, I make faces when I shave to help get certain bits of the beard. I thought I was the only one!

I could never make a tutorial video, not just because I'm an awful instructor, but my faces would be pathetic! :icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom