Feather SS or technique?

Hi guys,

I have been using a Feather SS as my daily shaver for about a month now, initially with Pro-guard, then Pro-light and, finally, the standard blade.

Initially there were no problems, but I have noticed a growing tendency to nick myself and my skin is a bit scabby now. Never had this with double or single edge razors so what am I doing wrong? Could this be skin "thinning" as I have heard others mention, or is it technique at fault?

As always, any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gordon

It's hard to pinpoint Gordon maybe a bit of both technique along with a switch of blade, now i had the opposite effect when i first started, i used the pro light blade and did on occasion give myself a little nick, but as soon as i changed blade to the sharpest blade the Feather Pro in the black injector there was a noticeable difference in the smoothness of those blades, and you can actually get up to 20 shaves from a single blade. I don't like the Feather light blade and found it harsh and i could barely get 4 shaves from it.

Jamie.

Gogser said:
Hi guys,

I have been using a Feather SS as my daily shaver for about a month now, initially with Pro-guard, then Pro-light and, finally, the standard blade.

Initially there were no problems, but I have noticed a growing tendency to nick myself and my skin is a bit scabby now. Never had this with double or single edge razors so what am I doing wrong? Could this be skin "thinning" as I have heard others mention, or is it technique at fault?

As always, any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gordon

Sounds like technique to me. Keep the head of the razor almost flat against the face (use the "bulb" in the bottom of the head) and use no pressure.

if you even use the weight of the razor you are probably using too much pressure

de's tend to smooth out the bumps in your face so there are a lot more forgiving

probably technique

if you said the razor was making face really sore and itchines they it might be the razor but sounds like technique

took me 6-12 months to stop ocationally cutting myself with a straight

Thanks everyone for your replies.

In another post, a suggestion was made that their problem could be down to lather type, i.e. too thick, and that lather should be thinner for use with straights.

So I tried again with a looser, more watery, lather and all was well again.

I never appreciated how much of a difference it makes.

Never ceases to amaze me this shaving lark :icon_surprised:

I find that some additional pre shave works for me either oil or a lot of people like the Proraso pre and post shave. I'd not come across the reference to a thinner lather before but on the basis that a dry lather is definitely to be avoided maybe that's the answer.

I'm new (very new) to the Feather AC SS as well and currently using Pro-guards. Could anyone explain the difference in real world shaving between the 4 blade types please? I can see the differences on searching in thickness and how much they protrude, but not in real world application.

Sorry if this is sort of hijacking your thread but it is related.
Nick

The pro guard has the guard (unsurprisingly, I suppose) that prevents you cutting yourself deeply, or as easily.

I've only used these and the Pro, so can't compare the others. For me the guard is an ideal starter blade, building technique and confidence safely, but the Pro gives a better, cleaner shave when you're ready for it. (And lasts longer.) Opinions do vary on this; I know Johnus likes the Guard best of all.

Great news, that it worked out Gordon!

Re Feather blades, there are four kinds, but I only used the Pro ones. However there are another one, that's supposed to be even sharper :D ... and re the guard blade, well, it has a guard infront of the edge to help you to find the best angle. I suppose the forth is a middle thing inbetween the pro and the guard blades.

Back
Top Bottom