Feather Stainless Razor Review

Very nice review indeed and thank you for sharing.

I was on the fence for expressing interest for one few weeks back (when Paul asked any willing-to-buy members to PM him), considered a PILS as well (because at that price you have to do that) but finally decided to get a few vintage razors first and try the concept. I thought the Feather All Stainless will probably still be available few months/years later (however so will the vintage ones!)

Most important characteristics for me are (a) the design, and (b) the fact it is reportedly a very mild shaver. Having just found the trick to reduce neck irritation after so many months of DE shaving though, I now worry less not having bought the All Stainless. Once you understand how important your skill is, you realize that the tool you're holding is affecting the end result much less that originally thought. I'll probably end up buying it sooner or later, have to admit though.

I agree that some decades later this will be a true classic sought after by our sons (or grandsons?) in the same way we now go after the Rockets or Aristocrats.

Shaving.ie reduced the razor's price last week, by 10 Euros; it's Eur 140 now if I am not mistaken. This is of course for the one in the wooden box, without the stainless steel base. Not sure if this price reduction indicates lack of demand by shavers this summer.

You might be right there, recession biting and people pulling their purse strings in could mean it may be beneficial to wait, but I am impatient sometimes. I do agree that many people underestimate the factor that poor discipline has on the shave. Often I see the something blamed and often it is the adjustment period that puts people off. I did not like tea and coffee without sugar when I first tired it and I believe those who are complaining that the Feather is mild should at least consider the possibility that it could be a technique adjustment.

That's not to say it will be liked by everyone and if you try the adjustment and hate it fair enough. However all too often I see perfectly good 2 band brushes for sale with "used a couple of times, not my cup of tea" and think how do you know unless you stuck with it?, brushes have a break in period but razors do not so the period where things are moving around as you adjust your technique should be shorter.

I can get great shaves from vintage DE's, this razor was a sheer indulgence purchase and I do enjoy using it so I will keep it. The Pils is next on the list....one day....

Thanks for all the comments, I hope it was a decent waste of however long it took you all to read :lol:

Having read further comments regarding this razor, and considering your very full review, I would not be surprised if Paul went down the "who would be interested" path again, more people may be interested.

Looking at the images and reading your review remindined me of a guitar amplifier that I once owned. It was a Mesa/Boogie Studio Calibre DC-2, and it is the single most perfectly constructed piece of kit that I ever owned. Not just musical kit, but of ANYTHING that I have ever owned, tools, cars, cameras etc.

This Feather razor looks to me to be in a similar league to that amp.

Ian

What is the weight of it, Audio? (excl. base)

Perhaps I could do a search and find out but if you happen to know already (or if you have a small electronic kitchen scale and can give us a figure) it will be appreciated.

Would be good to know before I finally decide and/or contact Paul for further.

N_Architect said:
What is the weight of it, Audio? (excl. base)

Perhaps I could do a search and find out but if you happen to know already (or if you have a small electronic kitchen scale and can give us a figure) it will be appreciated.

Would be good to know before I finally decide and/or contact Paul for further.

Mine is 89 grams without a blade (on my kitchen scale), it is 10 cm tall overall, the handle being just a smidgen over 9cm. The handle is 1cm thick and the head is 4.3 cm wide. I would do a comparison shot with a regular DE but lost my camera at the weekend, though I could do a crappy phone camera shot if you want.

On blade gap, this was from a guy who owns one over at B&B, I haven't checked the gap with feeler guages yet

I inserted used blades in each and measured the blade gap of the Tech at just over .020" [.50mm] (the closest increment in my gage set) which would be consistent with the Wiki's gap of .022" [.56mm]. The Feather comfortably accepted a .025" [.63mm] gage and would probably accept a bit more. This would put the Feather's blade gap in the same range as a Gillette Aristocrat, a Gillette Adjustable set at "3" or a Merkur

Hope this helps.

Sorry for babbling on Mick but glad you persevered :lol:

IanM, yes there is an element of that in this razor, it is a fine construction and a nice to look at and for me personally there is something nice about owing a well made piece. No rough edges, no cast marks and the knurling giver a superior grip. It is not groundbreaking design (like the Pils) rather they went for an oversized Tech, some may not like that shape but I like it for the mixture of a traditional shape and high end construction.

By all accounts the Pils is more aggressive but I will comment on that when I buy one.

Smashing write up and pics Martin. I'm curious as to the perceived 'aggressiveness' of the razor. I wouldn't rate 3 on a Futur as mild compared to most non-adjustables I've tried. It won't tear your face off but has more bite than most IMHO.

Fully agree with Rik on the comment for the 'Futur on 3 aggressiveness' setting.

@Audio: thanks for the very detailed measurements; as you said, I find the near-Tech style appealing, and also like the 'fat' (so to speak) handle. Looking more into the details, this appears to be a truly lovely razor.

With my b'day coming up, now it is much harder to resist. I promised myself very recently this would stop, had left a very small 'door' open for a Chubby 2, now this... :x

Absolutely right Rik, i do not consider 3 on a Futur as super aggressive but dependent on the blade in use you can tone it down. It is milder with a Red IP or Crystal in it but with one of these blades you would have to go against the grain to achieve the BBS, which seems sought after on so many forums :roll: , I even found it a little bit hard at first with anything but a Feather blade to obtain a BBS finish but I do not do this often, more of a weekend curiosity.

For a weekday shaver all I look for is how good is it on 2 passes with a bit of touch up in my trouble spots and this does that admirably. It is all down to what expectations you have for it, lots of hype and no substance results in people making their own mind up about what someone said when they posted "Great, super BBS" with a big thumbs up smilie, maybe for them this was the best shave they had, perhaps the first time using a Feather blade without blood loss may also be a new frontier for some.

My comparison to the Futur is the closes I could get, it feels a bit like a Futur in use because it is a big head and it mows the stubble without resistance, partly due to the heft of it. However it is it's own razor and it is like saying an Audi is the same to drive as a BMW, it kind of is but it also kind of is not, if you know what I mean. It's close but which one will do it for you no one can say.

I will try to do those shots with the Feather, a Futur and a normal three piece for comparison.

Thanks for the great review Audio. I'm waiting for a Feather Stainless from Classic Shaving to be delivered and had a quick question. You have giving the razor pretty high marks, so is there one thing about it that you would change if you could?

Dr Pepper said:
Thanks for the great review Audio. I'm waiting for a Feather Stainless from Classic Shaving to be delivered and had a quick question. You have giving the razor pretty high marks, so is there one thing about it that you would change if you could?

The price :lol:

Good question though. Nothing springs to mind but I will gove it some thought. The classic Tech shape is perfect and any changes I could suggest would be minor and/or cosmetic. I would love to see a Stainless TTO but that would be a completely different razor.

Audiolab said:
Arrowhead said:
Hats off, Audio: what an excellent review.

If my aging memory serves me right it might have been your good self who was finding the lack of an in depth opinion on this razor a little frustrating.
Might have been. Personally, I'm not in the market, but it is an interesting product. There has been a good deal of interest at Straight Razor Place, as it happens, and I've taken the liberty of putting a link to your article on their DE board. I don't think anyone there has taken the plunge yet: no doubt when push comes to shove they'd rather put their money into the ongoing depletion of the world population of Dubl Ducks ... and I freely admit that I think the same way nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom