Fellow coffee fiends

A recent post regarding a missing DE razor there was a mention that many of you are also members of the UK Coffee Forum.

I wonder what it is about these two hobbies?

I'm further down the path of coffee discovery than that of shaving perfection with a Has Bean subscription, 3 grinders, aero press, various filters and a Gaggia Baby espresso machine.

Who else is a coffee fiend and what kit do you use?

You'll find a few of us on here - welcome to you.

Some of my kit: www.poppycoffee.co.uk

Try York Coffee Emporium for some very individual coffees.

I guess what it is with these two hobbies is shiny shiny metal equipment with disposable software to use said equipment and so much choice of software.

My user name is the same both here and on Coffee Forums UK

Nothing beats a good cezve brew for me. No super duper espresso machine (think Mirage Veloce) can beat it taste wise.

kak-svarit-kofe.jpg

Coffee and shaving enthusiasts share the same anally retentive qualities...

Rancilio S26 Pro
La Pavoni Pro
Mini Gaggia spring lever
Solis Master Top bean to cup
Mazzer Super Jolly

Yup, found here and DE shaving after a thread on coffee forum mentioned it.

My kit-
Gaggia classic with silvia steam wand mod, opv mod and a bottomless portafilter.
Macap m4 stepless grinder.
Vst baskets- 15g, 18g, 22g
Torr goldfinger tamper
1-3 cup chemex
6-8 cup chemex
01 v60
Aeropress
3 cup syphon

It's a slippery slope, much like shaving!

I've been into the coffee longer having bought a Gaggia Classic and a Dualit burr grinder when I graduated just over 8 years ago. Latterly I was mainly drinking cafetiere due to it being less hassle but then deciding to research changing the steam wand for the Rancilio Sylvia one led me to get back into it, fitted that and then decided to sell an expensive lens (from my other hobby, photography) to purchase my current setup, a Fracino Cherub and a Quamar M80E from a Coffee Forums UK member, shrink who I realised recently is also a member here :)

Loving my coffees now but not posting here as often now that I feel I have 'perfected' my shaving set-up but am still pursuing coffee nirvana avidly!

I'm another low-tech coffee fan. I like my Bialetti Moka stove-top pot. Not good enough for expresso, but I add hot water and make it into an Americano... Americano is my preferred caffeine glug anyway.
Also have a Dualit coffee grinder.... can't be doing with those nasty whizzy blade things.

Helveticum said:
Nothing beats a good cezve brew for me. No super duper espresso machine (think Mirage Veloce) can beat it taste wise.

kak-svarit-kofe.jpg

That looks gorgeous and I bet it smells delicious!

...which doesn't help if you are trying to reduce your intake :icon_cry2:

rum said:

Thanks, and it does indeed! I ofttimes make it with a touch of various spices too - cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves.
As for the intake - I normally drink it about once or twice a week these days, used to be a proper fiend though.

P.S. unlike top end espresso machines, a good copper cezve will relieve you of no more than 20 quid delivered ;) The rest is about the skill - there's many more tricks to the traditional way than it is to industrialised espresso.

Helveticum said:
rum said:

Thanks, and it does indeed! I ofttimes make it with a touch of various spices too - cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves.
As for the intake - I normally drink it about once or twice a week these days, used to be a proper fiend though.

P.S. unlike top end espresso machines, a good copper cezve will relieve you of no more than 20 quid delivered ;) The rest is about the skill - there's many more tricks to the traditional way than it is to industrialised espresso.

Wow, cardamom and spices is really very much Middle Eastern. I have a few bags of Israeli, Turkish and Lebanese coffee. The aromas in some are just out of this world. (NB For a cardamom fragrance, check out Cartier Declaration!).

I am lucky if I can get one a week as well - usually on a Saturday! They wouldn't let me have a cizve and open fire in the office :mad:

I love a good coffee, I don't own a machine yet but one day I might get one. For now I am happy with a grinder, Moka Pot and an Aeropress which I bought on recommendation form here.

Used to be cigarettes and alcohol but as I get older I am happy with Coffee and cars....maybe the odd razor and some nice watches as well....

michaelg said:
I've been into the coffee longer having bought a Gaggia Classic and a Dualit burr grinder when I graduated just over 8 years ago. Latterly I was mainly drinking cafetiere due to it being less hassle but then deciding to research changing the steam wand for the Rancilio Sylvia one led me to get back into it, fitted that and then decided to sell an expensive lens (from my other hobby, photography) to purchase my current setup, a Fracino Cherub and a Quamar M80E from a Coffee Forums UK member, shrink who I realised recently is also a member here :)

Loving my coffees now but not posting here as often now that I feel I have 'perfected' my shaving set-up but am still pursuing coffee nirvana avidly!

Living in Birmingham I would love to own a Fracino, I am currently using a Gaggia Baby (classic internals except adjustable opv) and MC2 grinder.

How does the Cherub compare to the classic? My shots currently look good but can taste a bit burnt, I have tried temperature surfing but its very hit and miss. What is the temperature stability and heat up time like?

Photography is another of my hobbies, oh dear.....

Hi there,

I would say the shots are a lot nicer and more temp stable but also having a better grinder made a big difference here as my old grinder didn't actually go fine enough for espresso. The main difference for me is the steam power though - it has bags of steam to make perfect microfoam without ever literally running out of steam.

I'll try to post an image from my computer in a second as doesn't seem to be allowed from Tapatalk...

Granted I am terrible at pouring latte art but this is today's effort....

Attachments

• IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 30
Back
Top Bottom