Fido's New Forest Superior Badger 2201

Lol. Fingers crossed Hunny. I doubt my uncle is going to spend more than 5 mins trying to source the OS. It would be very kind to him to be bring back 1 bottle and even that would surprise me. He's probably going to be very busy.

I'm delighted with this new brush. I've used it twice, with Proraso cream, and had enough lather for four passes, with some to spare. It's larger than my Simpson Beaufort 1 but there's a nicer feel to this persian jar-shaped handle. I had been considering buying a Simpson PJ-2 or a Rooney Style 2 and I'm glad that I discovered Fido's New Forest brush first. Bargain of the year, but top quality all round. :D

:D Well first spin with the brush and boy can you tell the differance between an average brush and a good brush..whipped up some trufitt and hill almond in no time and was holding enough for a good 3 pass shave..Very happy...nice one fido..

I thought I'd post this here as well. I posted this bit in the Vendor Offers forum originally but this is a more appropriate place I feel (Mods, feel free to delete this if double posting is a no no):

The brush arrived yesterday. Off course I had to try it the same evening. I was surprised that it has more backbone than my Semogue 830, and is even softer too. I use Tabac soap almost exclusively, and the 2201 whips up huge amounts of thick cream in no time. easily enough for a 3 pass shave. Oh, and it only shed one hair total after doing 2 break in lather sessions and one to shave with. To me it's the perfect combination of a firm face lathering brush that feels like silk at the same time.

I'm not much of a collector but I always try to get the best item within my price range. I will just sell off the stuff that does not completely work for me (for instance, I own just one fountain pen, an Aurora Optima with sterling silver cap.I own just one folding knife, a Spyderco Sage II, oh and just one DE razor, an Edwin Jagger DE86 ). I can safely say that the New Forest has ended my search for the optimal brush for my needs.

I want one but my overdarft says no.

Fido, what's the production run? And what are stock levels? I might be able to afford one in the autumn.

Couldn't believe that picture Tony posted: it's basically a Simpson.

How about marketing it as the "The Lymington Limey: Old Fashioned Brushes From The New Forest"

The yanks would love that.

Ah Rev, did you have to go and ask that? I've been trying to hold of buying one as my funds are seriously low. Now if Fido comes back and says there's limited stock and he'll be focusing on the other brushes after this, what am I supposed to do? I'd rather of not known.

It's great to know that my 2201 has been well received. The response here has been reflected on other forums. I am likely to sell out my first batch of brushes soon. I'm then going to take a break before launching my Finest Silvertip, probably in September. I still have in mind a shorter lofted fan shape version of the 2201. I may also add a high mountain grade. In due course I will restock those brushes that are well received and consider other handles and sizes.

I have a few 2201 brushes that didn't pass Fido's quality control procedure. In a friendly manner I told my manufacturer that his quality control was not good enough and he has agreed to address my concerns.

So when I have sold out my first batch of brushes I will offer my "seconds" first exclusively to TSR members at bargain basement prices.

Tigradekat said:
I thought I'd post this here as well. I posted this bit in the Vendor Offers forum originally but this is a more appropriate place I feel (Mods, feel free to delete this if double posting is a no no):

The brush arrived yesterday. Off course I had to try it the same evening. I was surprised that it has more backbone than my Semogue 830, and is even softer too. I use Tabac soap almost exclusively, and the 2201 whips up huge amounts of thick cream in no time. easily enough for a 3 pass shave. Oh, and it only shed one hair total after doing 2 break in lather sessions and one to shave with. To me it's the perfect combination of a firm face lathering brush that feels like silk at the same time.

I'm not much of a collector but I always try to get the best item within my price range. I will just sell off the stuff that does not completely work for me (for instance, I own just one fountain pen, an Aurora Optima with sterling silver cap.I own just one folding knife, a Spyderco Sage II, oh and just one DE razor, an Edwin Jagger DE86 ). I can safely say that the New Forest has ended my search for the optimal brush for my needs.

Tigra,

I don't know what happened to my long-winded post but again Welcome to TSR! May you have many joyous shaves and rich thick lather from one of the best brushes to date.

I don't know about you but can't wait for rest of the series. Since I've never had this "Finest" grade I'm looking forward to that along with the High Mountain grade badger.

Thanks Ivan! Like I said I'm not much of a collector and this brush more than meets my expectations. It's unlikely I will buy more brushes after this one.

But I guess you've all heard that one before. :twisted:

Yep, I've said it before now. Now the policy is that I DO NOT COLLECT SHAVING BRUSHES unless they're made from the hair of badgers humanely harvested from the roads around the New Forest.

Tigradekat said:
Thanks Ivan! Like I said I'm not much of a collector and this brush more than meets my expectations. It's unlikely I will buy more brushes after this one.

But I guess you've all heard that one before. :twisted:

Believe it or not,

I've never been much a badger fan. If anything I've been indifferent. I just didn't see fit to pay for 4-
10x as much for what I can get with boar which is tuff as snails but at same time exfoliating and sometimes soft tipped. Since having recently used my Omega Silver and Simpsons Super ( long story short I fancy short brushes and I liked the 21047 Boar so much so I picked up 599 Silvertip along with short handled 2273 Vulfix). In any case, what sealed it for me was the New Forest.

I received this brush today, and I have to say I'm really, really impressed!

The handle is slightly different to the fan prototype I have - slightly shorter and more bulbous. Not sure if this was intentional or just hand made variation.

Either way, I love it! I have lathered a few times and it's as effective as any brush I've owned, regardless of price, and the tips are really soft, softer than the fan prototype even, and denser. Not one hair shed, which is just how it should be. Smells a bit of glue/epoxy but I'm sure this will fade.

I was worried that the hair might be too stiff but no, just great backbone and soft tips, just like my beloved Savile Row! :eek:

This really is the bargain of the century, and I see no reason why a beginner (or anyone for that matter) would need to settle for a boar brush, which don't hold a candle to this brush, in my opinion.

I'd gladly sell both my boars and buy another of these. It's that good!

Thanks very much to Fido for making this available at such an unbelievable price, and I'm really looking forward to his next one!

John

jhclare said:
I received this brush today, and I have to say I'm really, really impressed!

The handle is slightly different to the fan prototype I have - slightly shorter and more bulbous. Not sure if this was intentional or just hand made variation.

Either way, I love it! I have lathered a few times and it's as effective as any brush I've owned, regardless of price, and the tips are really soft, softer than the fan prototype even, and denser. Not one hair shed, which is just how it should be. Smells a bit of glue/epoxy but I'm sure this will fade.

I was worried that the hair might be too stiff but no, just great backbone and soft tips, just like my beloved Savile Row! :eek:

John,

You're quite fortunate to have the prototype! Would love to hear your impressions about the fan counterpart.

This really is the bargain of the century, and I see no reason why a beginner (or anyone for that matter) would need to settle for a boar brush, which don't hold a candle to this brush, in my opinion.

I'd gladly sell both my boars and buy another of these. It's that good!

Thanks very much to Fido for making this available at such an unbelievable price, and I'm really looking forward to his next one!

John

Funny you should mention that. I had a potential buyer for the Semogue LE and he said

Hello Ivan, It's me again. I would like to back out of my offer to buy the LE. I have recently started using two band badger brushes (New Forest & TGN) and have really been impressed with them. There's a good chance that the LE would only be a display brush for me. Thanks for your time and have a great weekend.

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom