First de razor, your thoughts please?

What's your stubble like ? Thick, fast growing or lighter ? Also what is your skin sensitivity ,?
The reason I'm asking is beginners usually start with a mild razor and work up to more aggressive, however if you have a heavy beard, the milder razors will be hard going.
Slants by the way can vary in aggressiveness, my razorock stealth is almost impossible to get a cut or irritation from whereas the merkur 37c is not really for a brand newbie.... as you have probably guessed, wet shaving is a very complicated thing !

If you want to do like many of us when begining > Merkur 34C
If money and time (to find the right settings) are not a problem > Merkur Progress
If you have 4 extra euros to spend > Chinese Rimei on DX, or even less than £2 on Ebay

Thanks guys, the adjustable makes sense, as I don't need several models and can hopefully dial in a setting I feel works for me...plenty to consider here...now the Search starts online!!
Cheers
Not sure I would ever recommend an adjustable as a first DE - too many variables at hand. Like many others I went down the 34C and EJ89 route (and the Slant Hammer - for that matter). But hey - horses for courses. YMMV

Edwin Jagger DE89 or Merkur 34c. Anything else at this stage could be overkill and these are a reasonably cheap yet high quality introduction. As has been said, either could be all the razor you'll ever need but not necessarily the only one you'll ever buy. I've bought many razors over the years but keep coming back to my trusty 34c - never fails me.

What matters most is how much blade is exposed.

Until you get proper technique down, id get a wieshi as cheap as you can. Or a feather plastic tto razor, the "feather popular"

Nothing wrong with going not so old school and getting one of those Wilkinson plastic de razors.

Another vote for Edwin Jagger EJ89DE, my first "proper" razor (with knurled handle) and still in my regular rotation.

Chunky feel, good weight and not too pricey if you find it's not for you, although hard to think why not.

Regards,
Chris

Not sure I would ever recommend an adjustable as a first DE

Agree. My mistake as a first DE was to buy a Murkur Futur thinking I'd start at the 'kind and easy' level and work up from there. Big awkward and never got past 3 to this day.

I'd go for a Muhle R89 head and a decent handle from the likes of Windrose. Less than £30. See you through the start and beyond.

Agree. My mistake as a first DE was to buy a Murkur Futur thinking I'd start at the 'kind and easy' level and work up from there. Big awkward and never got past 3 to this day.

I'd go for a Muhle R89 head and a decent handle from the likes of Windrose. Less than £30. See you through the start and beyond.
Thank you!

AN adjustable is not a bad first razor, provided the following

Its mechanically sound
A Gillette
The user starts with it on the lowest setting and works up the ladder
Correct skills of shaving are used
Decent blades are used

Reactions: Hvm
Gents, looking for a reasonably priced, well made first razor, I'm in the uk and except for online, very few shops seem to sell these items, I want to feel the unit in my hands and asses it's qualtys, sadly this may never happen...
So I'm looking for a decent weight, well made unit, don't mind if it has bomb bay doors, or is three piece, not looking for a slant type as they seem odd to me.
Something that will last if it's a good shave any ideas or directions would be good please, based on your personal experiences alone, as I think that's the best way to go.
Thanks all, look forward to your replys..if you have any pictures so I know what your talking about, that would be good.
Hi there,
Have you considered a Parker 65R?

I've had one since Feb this year and shave every other day with it.

A Fatip Open Comb razor will teach you decent technique right away ;)

Less dangerous; a MÜHLE R89 or Edwin Jagger DE89 are good choices for a first razor. Not too mild, and certainly not too aggressive. I prefer MÜHLE/EJ over Merkur.

Back
Top Bottom