First de razor, your thoughts please?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Feather-P...hash=item4d3aef1c6a:m:mvd8P61CqMgZ6sV4brdPStg

I have had one since right after I started DE shaving years ago and it's never let me down. It is a mild razor, but is a superb "learner" razor that is forgiving and with a top shelf blade is quite capable of a damn fine shave when you have your technique down. It's a TTO (twist to open) razor and is light, which IMO helps serve to gradually 'wean' a man off the disposables.

I agree with Eeyore68 the muhle r89 or the ej de89' very easygoing giving great shaves and not very expensive, I my started with the muhle r89 and it's a great razor and not just for beginners.

I agree with Eeyore68 the muhle r89 or the ej de89' very easygoing giving great shaves and not very expensive, I my started with the muhle r89 and it's a great razor and not just for beginners.

I thought the R89 & DE89 were the same head? :confused: I've used a DE89 and it's a good razor, but you can buy the Popular for less money. Also, I am always hesitant to recommend a Tech or a Krona to a newbie as it becomes overwhelming for many if they must bid on Ebay or scour antique shops and then follow up with the requisite "how do I clean it?" questions. It can be too much for many.

I try to remember that not all newbies will stay with DE shaving. I would wager that most don't. Therefore, I always try to recommend the cheapest & easiest initial route lest they decide to liquidate.

I thought the R89 & DE89 were the same head? :confused: I've used a DE89 and it's a good razor, but you can buy the Popular for less money. Also, I am always hesitant to recommend a Tech or a Krona to a newbie as it becomes overwhelming for many if they must bid on Ebay or scour antique shops and then follow up with the requisite "how do I clean it?" questions. It can be too much for many.

I try to remember that not all newbies will stay with DE shaving. I would wager that most don't. Therefore, I always try to recommend the cheapest & easiest initial route lest they decide to liquidate.
You are of course correct about the heads being the same, and I see your point about the cheapest razor probably being better to start off with, the reason I recommended the Muhle R 89 is because not only do I believe that it's a good starting razor but because it was my entry level razor and I can recommend it with my hand on my heart.... I used it and it was great.
I couldn't recommend any razor I haven't any knowledge about. I don't believe I recommend a Tech or a Krona but I do understand where you are coming from.
Thankyou for contacting me and letting me know your feelings on this matter, it's been most interesting.

The first DE I used was a Krona and like Eeyore I think it was probably the best mass produced DE ever designed. Why current razor makers are obsessed with copying the Merkur style head ad nauseam and not the perfect beveled door head of the Krona baffles me. :confused: To be frank, I am surprised the Indians haven't copied the Krona head and maybe even for say a Parker style adjustable. The patents expired decades ago.

Greetings

The most popular choice based on by far the greatest number of recommendations for beginners are the Edwin Jagger or the Muhle 89 and the Merkur 34c. These two razors have by a mile been the most recommended, the many times this question have been asked over the years I have been a member of this forum. I heartily agree.

The Muhle/Jaggers are made in heavens knows how many sub models but the only real difference are the handles, with the Merkur 34c it's simply a gold or chrome choice.

Regards
Dick.

Down the road eventually you will buy a Gillette adjustable and when you do you will say to yourself man I should have bought this as my first razor. Trust me on this one
You're absolutely right! My late father gave me what I now know to be a Gillette Slim Twist, which gave a great shave, but unfortunately has been lost in a house move, sometime in the past 20 or so years. :(
I'm currently watching an auction on *that* site, so I might be back, asking for cleaning advice, etc. ;)

etsyhas nice pictures and is somewhat more honest in concept then ebay...

however looking through following that link,,, I found 5 items that were above, the highest possible ebay prices I have ever seen. Im taking rockets 40$ over the highest ebay bid ive seen this year.

Back
Top Bottom