First ever shave with a str8.

I am also new to this and by no means an expert on SRs but I'll try to help by listing a few things that worked for me.

1. Get the angles right
blade-angles.jpg

2. Good stretching
3. No pressure
4. Short strokes

Its a steep learning curve that takes time so don't try to force anything.

Here is a video of me shaving with a AC where you can see my technique. I only do 2 passes btw.

Happy SR shaving!

Hello all,
I'm very proud to announce that last Sunday I shaved with a str8 for the first time in my life. I got it back from Billy honed to perfection and I must say I've accomplished the first pass without too much drama. I did the rest with the OneBlade as I felt that using the Solingen further would be somewhat more adventurous than sensibility calls for.
What I discovered is that on my cheecksI can barely see the razor as it's obstructed by my hand however much I tried to change position in front of the mirror or hold of the razor.
The most difficult to shave is the chin area YMMcertainlyV. And the razor felt a little tuggy. I think this is because the angle I used was somewhat more than the 15degrees recommended.
I'll be shaving again tomorrow or the day after with 4 days stabble.
Any advice from the more experienced ones will be appreciated.

Yesterday was my shave number 46 out of 100 of my learning journey and I remember the very first shave too :) maybe I will never forget it.

It takes time figuring out angles and how to hold the razor so you can see yourself in the mirror. You can get ideas from YouTube but ultimately you need to develop your own style, what works for you.

The chin and under the nose areas are the hardest but with practice it gets easier.

I think the time you put into it will determine what you get out of it. Also, overcoming the fear of cutting yourselve determines the progress you make, in other words, as confidence grows you are able to tackle more difficult tasks. It took me over 60 hours or 40 shaves to get my chin and under the nose areas BBS in all directions. I have never started a SR shave when I don't have at least a couple of hours to spare. Taking the time to learn pays off handsomely as you achieve your own milestones :) and having enough lather too ;)

I don't know if Sheffield steel makes for a better blade, but it does feel a bit better than the Solingen. I'll try to post a pic. later today.
Sorry to hear about the cuts. I try to see where I put the razor on the sideburns which is not always attainable, but I hear the blade has to be moving before it touches the skin.
Don't get discouraged as it takes a lot of attempts to get it right.
I had my third shave with the str8 a couple of days ago and it went without any major disasters, but I still don't feel confident enough to go for the chin all the way. I do 1 pass and finish up with a DE.
Glad You Like You're Grandfather's Sheffield..It will Feel Different that Razor on the Face as its a Near Wedge or 1/4 Hollow..The Solingen is a Full Hollow Grind..I Love Sheffield Steel as Well..:)

Billy

Back
Top Bottom