First Post - 6 months on - what have I learnt

Hi All,

My name's Gary and I'm from Beckenham in Kent. Been DE shaving for around 6 months now. Have been a "lurker" on this site for some time which is the best of the forums in my opinion. A big thanks to all those who share their wisdom. Although the result has been painful for my wallet, it's eliminated the pain for my face.

Few things I've learnt

1. Having patience to keep practising and to take your time with the prep and the shave.
2. That I need little encouragement to buy stuff! In a month I had:
- 3 razors (Feather AS - my fave, Merkur Futur, Merkur 34c)
- 20+ creams/soaps (inc Martin de Candre, Castle Forbes, Henks and have several more I want to try inc MWF and Cella). I have bought one fairly unusual shaving cream from a Designer Cycling company - Rapha. They have released a shaving cream (for legs and face). Pretty good, nice smell. Not cheap and may not last a long time but some may want to give it a try rapha.cc is the website.
- 2 top brushes, 1 of which is bespoke (New Forest Tubby and a Simpsons Chubby)
Mainly down to this site!
3. I've settled on the Feather blade and don't yet feel the need to experiment
4. I'm drawn to trying a Slant
5. I've started using some classic scents which I'd previously ignored (Penhaligon, Floris) but still prefer Tom Ford Private Blend for staying power. Acqua Di Parma Intensa is on my list though.
6. Although my buying is slowing down, it's not stopping. Cue new Le Tuft purchase this week which I am delighted with. Bill was a pleasure to deal with and I highly recommend getting your own brush made. 1947 Lignum with 48.5mm loft. Hopefully I can load a pic ok at this point as my sign off:

[attachment=4073]

Attachments

• P1030565.jpg
    P1030565.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 30

Good man, that's an itch you just have to scratch isn't it? I have one arriving on Xmas day (I hope), I had tried the 39C a while back and decided I needed to own a slant of some sort, so I gave my wife a choice of the 37 or 39. We'll see.

Welcome, and nice to see you no longer lurking!

Canuck said:

Good man, that's an itch you just have to scratch isn't it? I have one arriving on Xmas day (I hope), I had tried the 39C a while back and decided I needed to own a slant of some sort, so I gave my wife a choice of the 37 or 39. We'll see.

Welcome, and nice to see you no longer lurking!

Interested to hear how you get on. I prefer the look of the longer handle but don't know if I'll be less steady with it and how I'd cope with the left side of my chin - my nemesis still! It's very rare that I prevent those itches from being scratched.

Welcome to TSR Gary!
Oh, you'll just have to try the slant! It's my favorite razor. Despite being labelled an aggressive razor, I find that it shaves very effortlessly and without irritation. This should be good for you, since you like the Feather so much, which is very mild.

/Max

Hi & very welcome Gary. I used a long handled slant & Feathers for some years along with MWF soap. Worked fine for me. (But just wait until you get on to glycerine soaps & single edged razors !), wehole load of fun still out there for you yet M8.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Merry Christmas all. Thanks for the welcome. Think the slant is going to happen very soon. SE is on my maybe list now. Will have to research that

Back
Top Bottom