First shave with an iKon OSS

Well! This Emporer has very fine vestments! This iKon OSS shaves right off like I'd expect an expensive all-stainless razor to shave, whether using the solid bar or the New-style open comb. Sweet, easy and smooth!

It's of the flat bed blade clamp design, like a Feather or a Pils, unlike a Weber with its parallel bar clamp.The head is so similar to a Feather As-D1 that I can't help comparing the two - even though they give completely differnet shaves.

No desire to put pressure on, the razor is hefty and well balanced and shaves with balance, too - neither too aggressive nor pussy-cat mild - so needing respect and due diligence whilst being understanding and just a little forgiving.

I used my standard test rig and shaved half my face with each side of the razor (feeling well pleased I'd used that 1930s New the last couple of days). I expect with experience, one would discover areas that benefit from one side of the razor rather than the other but on this first outing, I'd say they shave pretty much the same. I liked the solid bar side around my mouth and the New side on my neck.

The iKon is a great shave, no doubt, and I found it a pleasure to handle. The production machining is of a high quality. The handle bottoms on the head screw with a thunk and locks - no slack to take up.

Compared to a Feather As-D1? I'd say the iKon is the Westeners version of the Feather, designed to deal with our beards. They both have good heft but the iKon wins.

Compared to a Pils? Different beast - both magnificent.

Compared to a Weber? More expensive construction and more expensive to buy. Certainly more 'bullish' and with greater weight. Both shave extremely well. The Weber is a liitle less than half the price of the iKon. I'd hate to have to choose one over the other.

The two types of clamping arrangement -

DSC001731.jpg

The similarities of two very different razors

DSC001741.jpg

Long live stainless razors!!

Are Cobra razors stainless? Postman Colin, such a guy, brought me one duty free this morning - for way fewer dollars than they cost in Pounds.

I shave one pass with the open comb, one with the closed, and then throat with the open and face with the closed!

Works very well.

Where did you get your Cobra BTW?

I love my OSS so much so i ended up with 2 of them not long ago. My routine is 2 passes with the OC WTG and ATG then another ATG using the closed comb. Anything less and the shave isn't close enough.

From what I have read, the cobra isn't stainless.

Dipesh said:

No - it doesn't look or feel like stainless - and why would you chrome over stainless were it possible? Prompting by members rather than material must have been my reason for buying it. Having been persuaded to SE, is a Cobra SE or half DE, if you see what I meann?

I bought it from Classic Shaving in California for - oh! got myself mixed up with currencies - £118.84 delivered to my door (compared to Exec Shaving's £139.50 but out-of-stock plus delivery). HMRC could have tipped the balance the wrong way but didn't.

Bechet45 said:
Dipesh said:

No - it doesn't look or feel like stainless - and why would you chrome over stainless were it possible? Prompting by members rather than material must have been my reason for buying it. Having been persuaded to SE, is a Cobra SE or half DE, if you see what I meann?

I bought it from Classic Shaving in California for - oh! got myself mixed up with currencies - £118.84 delivered to my door (compared to Exec Shaving's £139.50 but out-of-stock plus delivery). HMRC could have tipped the balance the wrong way but didn't.

I guess the Cobra is a unique beast as it uses the Feather Pro blade which is far narrower than half a DE blade or SE blade. How have you found the shave as a matter of interest. ???
Regards,
Pete

man of leisure said:
Bechet45 said:
Dipesh said:

I guess the Cobra is a unique beast as it uses the Feather Pro blade which is far narrower than half a DE blade or SE blade. How have you found the shave as a matter of interest. ???
Regards,
Pete

I shall be able to tell you that tomorrow.

Bechet45 said:
man of leisure said:
Bechet45 said:
Dipesh said:

Regards,
Pete

I shall be able to tell you that tomorrow.

I will tell you one thing ...... it is the easiest razor to shave under the nose I have ever used !!!!
Regards,
Pete

ps I hope you enjoy the shave

Do you have any of the other Ikon razors to compare the OSS against? I like the idea of their asymmetrical head. The reviews of the OSS invariably compare it to the feather (usefully for me). I love my feather for its forgivefulness but every so often I have to mess about a bit to get my neck clean, preferably before it irritates the hell out of it. Having said that, my technique is improving because of that!

barlines said:
Do you have any of the other Ikon razors to compare the OSS against? I like the idea of their asymmetrical head. The reviews of the OSS invariably compare it to the feather (usefully for me). I love my feather for its forgivefulness but every so often I have to mess about a bit to get my neck clean, preferably before it irritates the hell out of it. Having said that, my technique is improving because of that!

I await opportunity and/or June for other iKons, though I have one modelled on a 1920s Genuine om its way to me.

I very much agree that a Feather razor is a great technique improver. Unfortunately, to date, I cannot say I think it is a great shaver! I hope this will change with some time spent with it.

I have 3 Ikons. An SK9, a Modern (the one they dubbed the Pils copy) and an original O/C Bulldog handle one. If I had to pick one it would have to be the O/C Bulldog, followed by the SK9. The Modern has not been out of its case in months and will probably end up getting sold............to fund buying other razors of course.........))

It's open comb.

It's a shame your not getting along with the feather. I found I got great shaves with it. My only issue with it was that I had a beard shadow coming through much sooner than normal.

Thankfully the OSS sorted that problem out.

Dipesh said:
It's open comb.

My only issue with it was that I had a beard shadow coming through much sooner than normal.

That, right there, is my problem with the Feather - not getting close enough. More practise may resolve the issue!?!?

I would say come back to it once you have mastered your technique.

I was getting BBS shaves with the feather and it if was to shave every day, it would have been ok but I like to give my skin a rest so shave every 2 days. With the feather I was just looking a little scruffy.

The upside to it was that my shaves were super comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom