First Straight Shave

Hi everyone,

Since I've received so much help from TSR members I thought I'd share my first straight razor shave experience with you...and show off my new toys.

A hesitant start with some stropping practice on Neil Miller's beautiful magnetic paddle strop (black snail handle) with my Dubl Duck Goldedge 6/8 purchased from Jamie (pugh the special one) combined with some MWF and an Omega 636 silvertip badger (both only on their third use). I managed a couple of good WTG passes down the sides of my face, and after some initial pulling, shallowed the angle down to around 20 degrees (harsher angle derived from DE habit) and smooth and easy passes all the way. A bit more tricky under the chin, but got a decent pass done in pieces. Under the nose, well, gave it a go, tried to get a shallow angle and managed to tap myself with the edge to give my first cut with a straight (but such a clean cut it stopped bleeding almost instantly with a dab with a styptic match). Rinsed off and was amazed at how smooth I was in the places where I'd had the right angle on the WTG downward passes - way smoother than the same with my DE. OK, so I polished off the tricky bits with my DE, but can't believe how comfortable and close it was. I'm definitely hooked!!!. A bit of Trumper's coral skin food miracle goop and I can't stop stroking my face and looking in the mirror.

Apologies for the dodgy mobile phone picture, but look at my new toys!!! Beautiful objects about to begin daily use...can't wait till tomorrow. (Hope this works as it's my first attempt to upload a photo).
4julyshave_zps8d4d6f2f.jpg.html

Well done Mike, that Dubl Duck Goldedge even though it's a fantastically smooth shaver as I told you be aware of that square toe at all times, other than that your first shave is now done and dusted, you will know what to expect next time, don't underestimate how much more improvement you will make little technical details such as stretching your skin can make the difference from turning a really good shave into an ordinary shave.

Jamie

Back
Top Bottom