first time brush restore!

something i have been thinking of doing for a while, the perfect opportunity arose when i bought a lot off ebay consisting of this brush and an incredibly filthy superspeed.
its not a perfect handle, its got a little crack at the bottom and a couple of minor cracks around the top but i dont want to start on a super expensive rarity!
2elcfo3.jpg

first job-chop off the old bristles....
6eewdz.jpg

then a good clean and polish. i t was really grotty, so i used a brillo pad and warm water to get the crud off, then i polished it with t-cut and a yellow duster
2u9mog2.jpg

mala3n.jpg

nice and clean, now dig out the remainder of the old knot. i drilled out the middle then nibbled away the rest with a sharp modeling knife.
jajo8p.jpg

it seems to be full of plaster or something-it seems to be nice and solid.
now i can measure up and source a knot. its going to be nothing fancy just in case i make a mess of it, but quite pleased with how its going.
dont know whether or not to cut out the brass ring?

any tips or advice gladly received!

well done so far!
check outThe Turners Workshop for some pretty cheap but very good knots, all stocked in the UK so no waiting for a couple of weeks or more for delivery.
If you had access to a lathe I would suggest chucking it up and getting rid of the cracks at the rim and boring the hole out a wee bit deeper. Then you can use coins to pack up the knot to find the right loft for your chosen knot.
If you can't use a lathe then I can help you out there (FOC), either that or use a file and some sandpaper. Give me a pm if you want some more info on the lathe work

You're right Rob, you won't see the cracks once the knot blooms. BUT, the fibres will catch on those jaggy bits and cause shedding, and apart from that I would know they are there and couldn't sleep until they were gone :blush: Imagine giving you a lovely straight with some rust spots on it, what would you do? ;-)

the little cracks will easily sand out if i take out the brass ring, they really are minor! the big one on the handle was worrying me but i think its pretty stable. to be honest i achieved much more than i thought i would today and i got to the point where i though i had better step away and take stock before doing something irreversible!
that is a very kind offer daz, i am going to try and sand them out first but if i think i am out of my depth i will PM you =)
i am getting more from tinkering and cleaning old stuff than i do from using it!!

just had a brain storm! i figured that if i left the brass ring in there it would limit how much material i can remove, so i gave it a quick rub....
2m2xvm8.jpg

pretty much gone! when its had a bit of shaping and tidying i think it will be right!
gonna lose that ring as well, i reckon that its probably what was holding the old knot together!

played around a bit and removed the brass thingy-cracks pretty much history now!
1j17wy.jpg

hole is a little over 22mm, just ordered a silvertip knot from the turners workshop-thanks for the link daz!-cost a little over £20 delivered, seems to be a pretty good price!
i will update when it arrives, thanks for your advice and encouragement guys!

the knot has just arrived from the turners workshop, its lovely! i have only ever used a wilkinson sword boar bristle brush, and while that is a perfectly useable item, this feels different class!
lovely and soft, i had heard tales of badger bristles being a bit stinky but there are no bad aromas =)
2csja5f.jpg

it looks smart in the handle-i bought the knot without really thinking and was worried it might be to big or small to suit the proportions of the handle but it is just right! here is a pic of both together-i am going to glue it in now !
f0bwra.jpg

all glued in now and i am very happy!
1536y69.jpg

amwa47.jpg

knot is still a little out of shape from the packaging but i am sure it will be tip top when its bloomed.
trickiest bit of the whole job was getting the amount of glue right but i guess that will come with experience! this has been a lot of fun and i will definately be looking to do another soon!

two part epoxy chappers, like a big double syringe thingy! brush is great, used it for the first time today, a lot different from my old brush-much easier to get a lather up and holds much more of it as well! really chuffed =) got to find a suitable candidate for the next one now .

Back
Top Bottom