First venture into DE shaving!

The previous lathers must have been too dry then because half way through it was flaking off my skin during passes. I might upload an image of my next lather so one of you gents can take a look and offer your opinion.

Shiny lather is usually a good sign. Next time you do a test one keep adding the water a bit at a time until you do end up with a soupy mess. It'll give you a much better idea of how much water is too much. As you go, pick some up with your fingers now and then and test the feel. You'll probably find that you can add a lot more water than you think before you end up with something unusable.

Cheers Chris, I'm creating what seems like good lather initially but it's deceptive! Will give it a shot tomorrow and may post a video so people can have a look.

Have you tried any other DE's than the Bluebeard? Never having used one myself, I don't know how aggressive they're considered to be.

Don't think it could be the blade now as the 7 o/cs are pretty well regarded, as opposed to the Derby which I find OK, but very few others do (their quality control could be better...).

Also, have you tried face lathering as opposed to bowl?

If you live in a hard water area, then that will effect the lather. Try putting a tiny amount on the brush first then give your face a quick once over before rinsing and reloading with the normal amount.

Re the blades, I've found Feather to be the best, though they can be lethal. Best to take it slow!

Leslie, the Scimitar is my first DE but I am told its mild/middle of the road in terms of aggressiveness. Pretty much identical to the EJ89. Its not to say I didn't like the 7 o'clocks, the blade just seemed less effective second time round (I appreciate this may sound stupid but some people say a blade improves somewhat after its first shave?)

Mack, I do live in a very hard water area. I am going to try bottled water this evening to see if that makes a difference! I do have a pack of the Feathers but as I have only just started shaving with a DE I thought it best to give it a little time before moving onto them.

Ben88 said:
Leslie, the Scimitar is my first DE but I am told its mild/middle of the road in terms of aggressiveness. Pretty much identical to the EJ89. Its not to say I didn't like the 7 o'clocks, the blade just seemed less effective second time round (I appreciate this may sound stupid but some people say a blade improves somewhat after its first shave?)

Mack, I do live in a very hard water area. I am going to try bottled water this evening to see if that makes a difference! I do have a pack of the Feathers but as I have only just started shaving with a DE I thought it best to give it a little time before moving onto them.

Rangers62 came up with a neat idea on another thread. He puts a cup of filtered water in the microwave and then uses that to build up the lather. Going to give it a try tomorrow.

Mack said:
Ben88 said:

Rangers62 came up with a neat idea on another thread. He puts a cup of filtered water in the microwave and then uses that to build up the lather. Going to give it a try tomorrow.

Yeah that was in response to my lather thread. Going to give it a try this evening.

Gave it a try and was a slight improvement. It was my third shave with this Gillette 7 o'clock blade and it was bloody awful. Felt like I was shaving with a blunt steak knife! Had to stop half way through my shave and swap out for a new blade. I gave it that long because I thought my technique was off rather than initially blaming the blade.

How are people getting 4 or 5 shaves per blade?!

Of course I appreciate YMMV but I would have thought 3 would have been reasonable. Ravey, the odd thing is my facial hair isn't that tough! It could have partly been to do with the fact I had a nasty bout of food poisoning the day before and was contemplating a cartridge shave even as the DE blade touched my face.

Who knows, let's hope the next shave is better as that put me off a tad.

I tried the filtered water and it didn't make any difference to me.

I use the Feather blades and get 5 shaves out if them, but I only need a 2 pass shave.

Ben88 said:
I've got some Feathers but a little nervous about using those at the moment as my technique still needs plenty of work I'm sure!

I must admit to having the odd disaster early on akin to a scene from a Tarantino movie, but I eventually got it right. Take it nice and slow with the Feathers. Once down and then an up the neck and across the face (chin and under the nose excepted).

I look at it a bit like riding a bike....I don't want to get too confident too early! I'm already looking at a more aggressive open comb razor (The Muhle R41 to be exact!)

Back
Top Bottom