flickr

Good news everybody, flickr is no longer limited to the last 200 photos for free accounts, it now offers 1TB of storage. Only catch is videos are limited to 1080p and three minutes (twice as long as previously).

http://blog.flickr.net/en/2013/05/20/a-better-brighter-flickr/

There's a warm place in my heart for flickr, Yahoo! missed the social boat when they bought it.

I use photobucket but am near my storage limit (free account). I also have Google pics or picasa bit find it hard to get the IMG code to embed the pic in forum posts so I tend to use its extra storage for archive stuff. Downloading from one to start uploading to the other is a pain.
Maybe I should sort out a Flickr account. Any things people don't like about it? (Have only limited amount of short video clips to upload so that's not a concern at present)

eneville said:
Good news everybody, flickr is no longer limited to the last 200 photos for free accounts, it now offers 1TB of storage. Only catch is videos are limited to 1080p and three minutes (twice as long as previously).

http://blog.flickr.net/en/2013/05/20/a-better-brighter-flickr/

There's a warm place in my heart for flickr, Yahoo! missed the social boat when they bought it.

That's about the only good bit, as we now have to re-learn how to navigate around it!!

Ian

I'm not a fan of Flickr, much prefer Photobucket, storage as never been an issue for me, as I delete most of my SOTD photo's every week, only really keep most of my razor restorations on there.

Jamie.

Johnus said:
Flickr? I've alway downloaded to a 2nd hard drive as a back up. Would Flickr be a Safe offsite storage for me??

For offsite of photos, certainly. There are no photo limits (other than 1TB) given that I take around 5000 shutter actuations per year, at 8MB/picture, that's 40GB, plenty of room left. I suspect that flickr is feeling the strain of everyone sharing photos on "lesser" quality services, such as fecebook. flickr doesn't alter your image uploads, you can always get the original.

So, certainly a practical offsite solution, you can even use upload tools that set the privacy to private for all those images that you don't want Joe public to see.

It wants me to have a yahoo email address created. Already have two non-Yahoo ones but can only use a Yahoo one. Says it has sent an activation code to my mobile. An hour later no text received (it is the right number) and resubmitted it four times since then.

I'll stick with Photobucket and Picasa.

NotTheStig said:
It wants me to have a yahoo email address created. Already have two non-Yahoo ones but can only use a Yahoo one. Says it has sent an activation code to my mobile. An hour later no text received (it is the right number) and resubmitted it four times since then.

I'll stick with Photobucket and Picasa.

Weird. I created my account in 2009 I think, didn't need to put a mobile number in as far as I can recall. Just been fine since. Yahoo acquired it and did a lot of integration, which held photo development things back a bit, there's some articles about that. Doesn't surprise me that Yahoo are messing around. flickr is a really good web application, I'll never think otherwise, just the Yahoo stuff can get in the way.

Back
Top Bottom