Found some Wilkinson Sword blades

One of my hobbies is building Radio Control Models and it must be fifteen to twenty years ago I bought some Wilkinson Sword DE blades to trim boat rigging lines. Guess what I found while tidying out today

fb288c9d.jpg

On the left the new blades fom my sampler pack. On the right the old pack in white which is labeled Classic with the blades made in England. Seven blades remain and it will be interesting to see which are better. Any thoughts?

Hi Mark,

Now the guy to answer any vintage Wilkinson blade questions would be Not The Stig. Yes, he's soon to be the resident expert here at TSR. Hehehe, it's his own particular (peculiar?) very own monkey! I have no clue how he mighta picked that one up.

I'm familiar with those old blades and they're good. Used em myself in the past, when I tried a few old Wilkinsons. They weren't my personal favorite, but that should mean exactly nothing as to how they'll work for you. I know a bunch of people really enjoy those. Now that I think of it, I may have a few other different vintage ones in my rotation.

I'll be curious how they compare to the currently made ones,

Martin

Re: RE: Found some Wilkinson Sword blades

dodgy said:
Hi Mark,

Now the guy to answer any vintage Wilkinson blade questions would be Not The Stig. Yes, he's soon to be the resident expert here at TSR. Hehehe, it's his own particular (peculiar?) very own monkey! I have no clue how he mighta picked that one up.

I'm familiar with those old blades and they're good. Used em myself in the past, when I tried a few old Wilkinsons. They weren't my personal favorite, but that should mean exactly nothing as to how they'll work for you. I know a bunch of people really enjoy those. Now that I think of it, I may have a few other different vintage ones in my rotation.

I'll be curious how they compare to the currently made ones,

Martin
Thanks Martin. I've not tried all the variations you have, like Super Sword, Light brigades. The ones i've used are the modern German ones and those vintage English ones in a gold pack. The modern ones don't last as long and don't have that reassuring smoothness. I think you ,Dodgy, said the Super Swords weren't quite as good as other English varieties?
Because of your good self, and a few others, I have quite a taste for many vintage blades. My current favourites are probably Schick Krona blades, which are very much like my vintage WSes except I get 7 shaves with no loss of comfort.

The ones I have (black text ones never tried)
IMAG0399.jpg

NotTheStig said:
. I've not tried all the variations you have, like Super Sword, Light brigades. The ones i've used are the modern German ones and those vintage English ones in a gold pack. The modern ones don't last as long and don't have that reassuring smoothness. I think you ,Dodgy, said the Super Swords weren't quite as good as other English varieties?

What's doin buddy,

Funny thing about Wilkinsons labeled 'Super Sword on the blade......they don't all shave the same. Some of the packs even have no mention of these words until you unwrap the blade and see em on there. Matter of fact, some of my very favorites (Sword Edge) are like that.

There's a few versions I love, and others that are still very good but not quite for me. It's really a convoluted can of worms figuring out which ones are gonna fit each of us the best.

I look to you for sorting things out at some point.....heh.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom