Found these 1980s Wilkinson Blades, any good?

Found 600 Wilkinson Sword blades from my grandfathers house, dated 1981. Are these any good, all the blades are in perfect condition ?

30t40eu.jpg

They're rubbish, but I'll do you a favour and give you a fiver to take 'em off your hands, I'm a generous sort like that...err just yanking yer chain...I've not had the pleasure of using vintage English Wilkies, but some folks here would give a body part to get hold of 600! They have a reputation of being very very good.

As shavecraft says, very very highly regarded. NTS made a blade spreadsheet here and if memory serves correct, these are the highest rated blades on there for closeness and smoothness. Good find.

I think these were the blades that were linked to the great "shaving rash" episode of 1983.

I couldn't be 100% sure, but if you send me one of the cartons I could probably find out.

Hi,

You only joined the Forum 40 mins ago, i could be wrong but i am sensing that there could be a FOR SALE post coming soon ?, but if your planning to stick around, why not introduce yourself :

Welcom Thread

Best

Steve :icon_razz:

They are good blades but no better than some readily available ones.

If you post this on one of the US-based forums they'll go nuts and probably offer you the Earth for them.

Sunburyboy93 said:
Hi,

You only joined the Forum 40 mins ago, i could be wrong but i am sensing that there could be a FOR SALE post coming soon ?, but if your planning to stick around, why not introduce yourself :

Welcom Thread

Best

Hah, good one Steve,

I didn't even have time to warn the OP that he might have a new bestest buddy and here you are!!! I'm guessing NTS has already been in touch with him.

shavecraft said:
They're rubbish, but I'll do you a favour and give you a fiver to take 'em off your hands, I'm a generous sort like that...err just yanking yer chain...I've not had the pleasure of using vintage English Wilkies, but some folks here would give a body part to get hold of 600! They have a reputation of being very very good.

Haha, just tried one and I'm really impressed, but can only compare with Derby Extra.

Sunburyboy93 said:
Hi,

Best

I just wanted to know if they were good quality, any history, rarity etc. I'm already a fan of safety razors, so I might just keep them for myself.. My gran seems to think theres another load of them in the attic, my grandfather kept 1000s of these from when he was a barber.

Brozart said:
I just wanted to know if they were good quality, any history, rarity etc. I'm already a fan of safety razors, so I might just keep them for myself.. My gran seems to think theres another load of them in the attic, my grandfather kept 1000s of these from when he was a barber.

Man, you can't see it but a few members are shaking their heads in disbelief. Very good at feeding the frenzy....yes you are. Lets hope Gramps packed 50,000 blades next to 6-8 NOS Darwin razors.

Wow, looks like he got a job lot there!

Whatever the back story, they've obviously gone to a good home and I'm sure there will be people round here who wouldn't mind a piece of that stash. Or you could just sit tight for 6 years and use them all up :D

Fingers crossed you might find another load in the attic. Be sure to share the love if you do :)

Back
Top Bottom