Founders Reserve: St James of London Shaving Cream

soapalchemist said:
Nanny's Sandalwoody! Relax as your razor glides with ease, lushiously lubricated by exotic oils caressing and smoothing your skin. Only the most discenring of Gentlemen can fully appreciate the real natural goodness contained within its unprepossessing brown paper bag. This soap will enhance your life in ways you never dreamed possible. Here are some quotes from happy customers 'I was promoted within a week of buying this soap!!' ' Nanny's soap has changed my life forever'. 'The first time I used this soap the girl I had loved from afar asked me out for a drink.' 'Since using this soap, my cancer has completely diappeared. My doctors are AMAZED!!!'

Sorry, got a bit carried away. :lol:

Hah. Sounds like you HAVE found the story of Castella shaving soap with beard-softening resinit ;-)

soapalchemist said:
I really need to know now; what is resinet??

hogwash, a non-existent ingredient, invented especially for advertising. Story has it that originally, the ad company that came up with this campaign intended to persiflage common 'success-story' advertising -- one installment ran something like "I was a neglected labourer, until I started shaving with Castella with beard-softening resinit - now I am a world-renowned conductor" - completely over the top, but being the first to do this, and partly thanks to the reference to this invented nonexistent magical ingredient, the campaign worked. For years...

It's stil considered a classic in Dutch advertising ;-)

Here's a site with a picture of the 1930's soap. If you look carefully, you can see printed on the sides, in, I guess, 4 different languages "met het wonderlijke RECINIT"...

Got me thinking now.....what nonexistant ingredient could I put in my soap, or even an existing one. I seem to remember JoeMc saying he liked bits of dead animals.....would insects work???

Where's the link?

Well, bees wax is good for hardening, but the trade off is killing the lather. Never tried propylis. I think too many people are allergic to bee stings to try the venom (can you buy that stuff???) and amyl acetate....you know me Henk, if it's not wearing sandals, I steer clear. ;)

Actually Speick cream contains bees wax and it doesn't seem to harm it lathering properties at all.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fendrihan.com/speick-shaving-cream-p-521.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.fendrihan.com/speick-shaving ... p-521.html</a><!-- m -->

Ingredients: Water, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Cera flava (Beeswax), Sodium Cocoate, Cetyl Palmitate, Potassium Myristate, Sodium Myristate, Lavandula angustifolia (Lavender Oil), Valeriana

The list is a little ambiguous, in that it doesn't exclude that the beeswax was saponified. In which case you would have another (albeit small) source of soap molecules and some long carbon chain alcohols that would work as emollients. If not, judging from the list and order, it would be in the range of 1% w/w. Chemically (as an ingredient group that is) it wouldn't be too much different from the cetyl palmitate, only less well defined. Wouldn't suspect some waxes, at this level, to kill the lather. Just make it a little heavier, and it may leave a very thin film of emollients (i.e. the bees wax and the cetyl palmitate) on the skin.

Back
Top Bottom