Fountain pen ink

I've stopped (actively) looking for that perfect blue after picking up a bottle of Iroshizuku Kon Peki... simply amazing ink, in both visually and behaviour. If I really need something conservative I will use a pen loaded with Montblanc Tolstoy Blue.

For corrections or general red writing, I use Diamine Matador, a truly noble red!

For jotting and when I feel the time is right, I will use R&K Alt Goldgrun, a uniquely fantastic ink to write with.

All of these are loading into 3 TWSBIs and a Lamy Safari.

I've stopped (actively) looking for that perfect blue after picking up a bottle of Iroshizuku Kon Peki... simply amazing ink, in both visually and behaviour. If I really need something conservative I will use a pen loaded with Montblanc Tolstoy Blue.

For corrections or general red writing, I use Diamine Matador, a truly noble red!

For jotting and when I feel the time is right, I will use R&K Alt Goldgrun, a uniquely fantastic ink to write with.

I like the sound of the Goldgrun..but I don't think I'm ready for sheening inks yet :)

Here is a scan of the mix @William Dobson . Diamine Eclipse was too dark for my taste, almost black actually, and Damson too light/dusky. Mixing the two hit the sweet spot for me.
(Sailor Pro Gear with M/F nib on Rhodia 90g paper)

Diamine%20Eclispse-Damson_zps1pklam6f.jpg~original
That's a beautiful color. Also, thank you, Jimi.

Just to throw in an ink related question. Lets say I'm using bottled ink and I'm not going to use the pen for a week, do you guys empty the ink back into the bottle or will it be fine?

Just to throw in an ink related question. Lets say I'm using bottled ink and I'm not going to use the pen for a week, do you guys empty the ink back into the bottle or will it be fine?
The ink will be just as fine in your pen as it is in the bottle, so it's no problem keeping your pen inked up. The only thing to bear in mind is that the nib may dry out in some pens if it's not being used for some time and it may have difficulty starting up again. Having said that, caps in the better pens fit in such a way that this problem is minimized. I have pens that can go for weeks without being used and the ink will start flowing immediately when I next pick them up.

It's easy to see why you stopped your search. That Iroshizuku Kon Peki is beautiful. It's almost as if it was created by the folks at the Windsor & Newton Artist's Water Color team. Great choice.

Would you tell me, please, whilst I await delivery of a bottle of Iroshizuku ink, what is so good about it?

It will be my fourth new bottle of ink, to go with my nine new pens. My practice handwriting is improving dramatically. I wonder what I will use it for, should it ever become good enough for public consumption?

My favourite pen is a Manuscript Scribe, except the nib renders it useless. They don't appear to sell new nibs.

It's the colour and how it looks on paper, behaviour of the ink (flow) and how it makes the nib feel on the paper which makes it tick my boxes.

Pelikan Edelstein is just as good for me though.

It will be my fourth new bottle of ink, to go with my nine new pens. My practice handwriting is improving dramatically. I wonder what I will use it for, should it ever become good enough for public consumption?

Handwritten SOTD journaling - and if so please post them here :)

It's the colour and how it looks on paper, behaviour of the ink (flow) and how it makes the nib feel on the paper which makes it tick my boxes.

Pelikan Edelstein is just as good for me though.

Exactly this!

I would also add that you might hear stories of Diamine orange inks causing nib creep, or Noodlers blue inks staining demonstrators... etc. I've never heard anything like this for Iroshizuku inks.

Safe inks, great lubrication and excellent colours.

This premium of which you speak - I saw Iroshizuku ink on sale from a UK pen store at £55 but bought mine from Japan for £15. What is the cost of a bottle 'normally'?

Diamine is £5.90 for an 80ml bottle or £2.35 for 30ml. Herbin is more expensive at £6.90 for 30ml.

It's all relative, but for me the Iroshizuku isn't worth the additional cost even though it is beautifully packaged.

Back
Top Bottom