Fountain Pens- the idiots guide?

SmallBeard said:
Thank you for the information, I will definitely swot up on YouTube. I've set CPs a challenge, I've just ordered a couple of pads, a converter, and a 30ml bottle of Oxblood Diamine ink. Oh, and a 49p retractable pink marker, to round it up to free delivery.

I will have to spend some time over on FPN now then...

Thanks to this forum I've bought shite loads of shaving gear, 11 knives, and now I'm onto pens :D

Another quick question, I'll make it my last, what's an alternative to blotting paper? Googling hasn't exactly cleared up the issue, so I thought I'd ask the gentlemen of this parish, which will make much more sense.

Thanks again :)

As a leftie you may find you need to blot - us righties usually don't need to worry, so I'm not sure. I think someone (J. Herbin possibly?) makes blotters, but I'm not sure. I presume you write with your hand curled over your writing and therefore are likely to smudge your writing?

EDIT: Here's Brian Goulet, a US seller and guru of FPs, with a post and video on J. Herbin blotting paper: http://www.inknouveau.com/2011/05/using-j-herbin-blotter-paper.html

Ta very much.

It seems that the blotting paper was BOGOF so I bought it, what a bargain!

Chris- I can write both hand over, or under, as I had to learn to do this because of the smudging issue in the past. My hand over is more comfortable, but I can adapt. Writing on a whiteboard used to be a nightmare!

SmallBeard said:
Ta very much.

It seems that the blotting paper was BOGOF so I bought it, what a bargain!

Chris- I can write both hand over, or under, as I had to learn to do this because of the smudging issue in the past. My hand over is more comfortable, but I can adapt. Writing on a whiteboard used to be a nightmare!

If you can comfortably write underhand you may never need blotting paper - the problem I foresee if you write overhand is that you'd need to blot every few words to avoid smudging, which would make writing any amount very slow indeed.

something hapened to me about 2 years ago. I turned up for a spec review and had no pen so the guy who wrote the sec let me use his Mont Blanc.

I'd not used a FP since high school and then it it a £2 jobbies from Smiths.

A week later I bought myself a Pelikan M405 and haven't written with anything else since.

I haven't gone obsessive with collecting them as I have with razor gear but I hate writing with a ballpoint now.

Ah, I left them with too much to do at the end of the day, and alas, my second order will be despatched tomorrow.

With any luck the pen will arrive tomorrow, and I can start on my quest to write like a gentleman! It might take some time, my handwriting isn't the best, and the difference between a FP and rollerball will be massive. But I'm looking forward to it.

I will have to check out WH Smiths, I can see this getting expensive.

Now I'm home, time to check out FP's Mantic on YouTube.

Thanks for all your help, tis much appreciated.

Wow- what service!

The Lamy arrived this morning. I've loaded a cartridge and letting it sit for a while so the ink travels through the feed, then I'll test it out.

Thank you Cult Pens :D

Back
Top Bottom