Fredk. Reynolds Straight

Thanks for the comments. Unusually for me, I finished this one on a Japanese stone but then decided to try a couple of pasted strops - first a Mastro Live CrOx followed by black and red paste from years ago. After a final stropping on linen, roo, and horse butt, I ended up with a very comfortable shave. Don't ask me what made the difference - other than the fact that the razor was sharp to start with.

Simply stunning in its elegance of form. The horn is beautiful! I can't quite see the wedge/spacer/thingy so what did you use, Rob. Looks like white corian or summat similar?

White corian it is Graeme. I suppose I should have used something more traditional given the horn scales - but I tend to think that it really doesn't matter - you are taking a blade that's 140 years old and putting it in scales that are, say less than 10 years old - does it matter if they are natural or synthetic material?

On the Straight Razor Forum there are quite a few people who object to using modern materials such as kirinite as scale material for old razors - my opinion is that razors were made in their millions - they are not rare - therefore it's fair play. Obviously if someone was to find a pristine 1830's razor in tortoiseshell or ivory and suggest re-scaling it in acrylic, then I would object as well. NBut, if the original scales are cracked and beyond redemption, then do what you like.

That's fantastic - I love your choice and feel truly honoured that you added my razor. I will repay you in some way I've yet to think of.

Back
Top Bottom