Gem 1912 - 1st impressions

Certainly a different beastie, isn't it?

Handle's shorter than I'm used to, head's bigger than I'm used to, the blade's much thicker than I'm used to & as for the angle...

Curious, I spent even more time than usual on prep due to the various unknowns & went for it.

Have to say, took a bit of getting used to - WTG, no problem as soon as I got the angle right (this bugger's even noisier than my Futur - love it). ATG, I think I used more pressure than needed, as I got a couple of tiny weepers under the chin which I thought no more of at the time... Now, at this point when DE shaving, I'd usually go XTG on the jaw-line, but when I checked, I didn't need to - the 1912 had sorted the jawline already.

The alum stung a tad, but the ASB sorted that out.

Then I used the AS - I think left a head print in the ceiling (those tiny weepers drank all the Proraso & converted it to hydrochloric acid, I think).

I think the Gem 1912 has the potential to become a distinct favorite due to its obvious effectiveness on fewer passes - just need to get the angle/pressure right under the chin...

...and the ceiling re-plastered :dodgy:

Ah ha my apprentice, now you have embraced the dark side!

I am amazed you managed to get some weepers, I never been able to draw any bodily fluids with the 1912, I have never cut myself with mine something that I can't say for my DE razors.

Too much pressure maybe? I find the short but heavy handle lends itself to no pressure. Get ready to throw your DE's away!

I think the weepers were down to too much pressure & possibly too steep an angle - I think I'd prefer a longer handle, but now I know what to expect, I'll take it easier tomorrow.

Throw away the DE's? I think not... they're soooo pretty

Remember the angle is somewhere in the 40/45 degree range, very steep but very sweet. I prefer a longer handle too but I don't mind so much on the 1912, probably because I like the heft of it.

I used a bullet tip micromatic today on loan, that's longer in the handle department and shaved beautifully!

I am a total SE shaving convert although, between them and my Dovo shavette my DE's aren't getting a look in

Got it.

2nd shave with the 1912 yesterday, reduced the pressure & increased the angle - still nice & loud, but no blood loss at all (barely even felt the shave) & an extremely smooth fizzog.

Again, no XTG needed on the jaw-line.

Good razor, innit?

Back
Top Bottom