Getting the right angle - How? (and general tips)

Hi all,

As above, had first DE shave the other day (DE89 and Astra blade)

I thought it went well at first, face was fine, no nicks. Neck was reasonably comfortable but some nicks.

BUT after shaving after a little while my neck was quite sore, even up to a couple of days later (now) it is less sore but on my neck in a couple of places the skin is somewhat 'raised', red and irritated towards the bottom.

Planning on another shave Sunday (first was Thursday) if my neck becomes a bit better.

But how do you master the correct angle? I think that's where I went wrong, as it was fine on my face. Also I'm trying to shave / line my short styled beard, so I think maybe some concentration went into that also to make sure I didn't mess that up haha

Any tips (angle related or otherwise) would be much appreciated

Thanks!

Sorry should have said. This is also quite likely.

I started off thinking "right, this is not a cartridge, no pressure needed" and I think if I remember correctly it was my face I did first and that's what has turned out better. Then maybe I forgot that and went back to what was natural from ages of cartridge shaving which was to apply pressure.

Will give it another go Sunday and see how it goes

In general, the 'top' of the razor head should always be in contact with your face/neck it seems? And if not, it means you've tilted it too 'straight'?

EDIT: Pressure it easy to master when going with the grain, as it is usually downwards and can just let the razor head weight do the job. But how do you best manage it when going XTG or ATG?

Haha seriously! How do you judge the pressure easily? Or just get used to applying no pressure whilst not dropping the razor? :D

Thanks Steve, didn't see your response

Haha seriously! How do you judge the pressure easily? Or just get used to applying no pressure whilst not dropping the razor? :D

Thanks Steve, didn't see your response
Hold the razor with thumb and index finger at the very end of the handle. On second though - use thumb and pinkie.
That's NO PRESSURE. Now hold the razor any way you like and use the same pressure. Simples.

Hold the razor with thumb and index finger at the very end of the handle. On second though - use thumb and pinkie.
That's NO PRESSURE. Now hold the razor any way you like and use the same pressure. Simples.
Thanks

Got it, NO PRESSURE haha

I think (from just doing some reading now), my problem was probably a combination of too much pressure (from cartridge days) and 'possible' wrong angle (from simply not paying enough attention to the angle)

To get a good idea of the correct angle, put the cap of the razor on the back of your hand or your arm. Handle sticking out at 90 degrees. Now slowly move the razor head along your skin while tilting the handle. As soon as you feel the razor cutting hairs you have found a good angle to start with.

Thanks!

The irritation on my neck in certain areas from pressure/angle... You think it would get worse if I don't let it heal completely before shaving tomorrow evening?

Post shave is important too. Make sure that you rinse off all the soap, then try Alum, rinse off Alum, a nice alcohol based AfterShave, and then a lotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom