Getting to know the Slim Adjustable

About a year or so ago, I bought myself a Slim - birth year razor from Ebay, in fine condition.

I tried it for a while and thought, "That's nice, but nothing special." and slid it back into the drawer. Lately, I've been going through a phase of re-visitng my razors and brushes, using a longer rotation so I can become more familiar with the foibles of each. I'm glad of it.

I've been using the Slim Adjustable with Feather blades for a few weeks, and the results are really remarkable - the Slim seems to need a rather different shaving angle than that which I've been using of late, and it does feel very mild, but having got the hang of it, it really gives a lovely shave. Last week I switched to a Gillette Super-thin blade, and it felt really rough (like a blunt Feather), but I suspected the soap might have had a bit to do with it (I'd been using Valobra Menthol - which is a good deal less slick and cushioning than the Almond variety) so I switched to some of Sharon's Lemony Lime, and the shave was transformed - smooth and easy, and with a lingering citrus hint afterwards. Fabulous!

I'm really enjoying taking a leisurely tour of my razors and brushes and soaps - it's the perfect remedy for RAD and SBAD - to appreciate and explore the merits of what you already have...

...also means I can concentrate on my Wristwatch Acquisition Disorder... :angel:

I've stated before hereabouts that, to me, the Slim with a Feather blade is a fantastic combination. I actually find the angle for the Slim (and indeed for my other Gillette TTO razors to be more instinctive than for my 34c (not that I dislike the Merkur - when I have a more than two days' growth to get through, it's superb).

Back
Top Bottom