Gillette Diplomat in two-tone gold?

u5LuC2W.jpg

I'm not sure of the identification. My understanding that the 1940's Aristocrat (on which this razor is clearly based) is smooth (without knurling) on the small section just above the tightening knob and on the small section at the top of the handle.

If those two sections are knurled, as shown in the photo, then I believe the nickel-plated version is the President and the gold-plated version the Diplomat. What is unusual here is that the tightening knob and the small section at the top of the handle and (unless my eyes deceive me) the guard are plated in a lighter gold.

I'd appreciate any insights into this: whether my razor identification is correct, for example, and whether Gillette did do two-tone gold-plated razors. It sure looks as though they did, but I never noticed it before.

[QUOTE="Leisureguy, post: 552986, member: 7318
I'm not sure of the identification. My understanding that the 1940's Aristocrat (on which this razor is clearly based) is smooth (without knurling) on the small section just above the tightening knob and on the small section at the top of the handle.

If those two sections are knurled, as shown in the photo, then I believe the nickel-plated version is the President and the gold-plated version the Diplomat. What is unusual here is that the tightening knob and the small section at the top of the handle and (unless my eyes deceive me) the guard are plated in a lighter gold.

.[/QUOTE]

Used one of those just today and last couple days before. From what I understand it's not that uncommon to find that two tone deal. The President's handle is rhodium plated. You're right about the other place the plating is different.....same on mine.

Great mild shave and still effective with a sharp blade. Kinda purty lookin too. Mine's dated B2.

Because these were handled mainly at the bottom that is often where you see the most wear. You need a better photo as I am thinking it's merely wear.

P.S. Notice the same wear on the shave bars.

just finish wear. oddly on my 46-47 aristocrat, the area under the head has near perfect finish.

is it notched or un notched? that factor increased accuracy of dating and identifying 100%

Back
Top Bottom