Gillette Heritage Razor

I believe it was a limited run, exclusive to Amazon ... some time last year? Hit up the second-hand market, I guess, if you want one now.

Reviewed back in 2019, this page details some of the supply and cites it entirely unavailable now (updated July this year): https://sharpologist.com/gillette-heritage-double-edge-razor/

It is "just" an R89 head on a vintage Gillette handle and so probably easily put together by most collectors.

I can't find it on amazon.com or amazon.co.uk - this razor is a different model to the regular "new" Gillette DE which retails for about £20. That razor is (again) an R89-like head but on a new style handle and without vintage style case.

If you had the original vintage style case and an original handle (whatever that style is), you could make up a genuine heritage razor.

To make things clear. There are currently two Gillette (or rather P&G) safety razors on the market.

One is this Gillette Heritage model ('GH'), marketed mostly through Amazon in the US. The other - King C. Gillette model ('KCG'), which is sold through P&G online stores (I've purchased mine on their UK site).

GH models have made in Germany MÜHLE R89 heads (the cap is a bit modified, to resemble an Old cap), made in the US chromed alloy handles, which are very close to the New bar handles of the olden days (which are too short and too thin to my liking), and very nice made in China faux-leather boxes, each with a pack of Russian-made Gillette Platinum blades.

KCG models have made in Germany (probably by Merkur) heads (more or less unique to this particular model), made in China (allegedly) stainless steel handles (which are fine for a modern razor) and carboard boxes, and each comes with a pack of Russian-made "KCG" blades, which are most likely just the rebranded Platinums.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Peculiar! I can see the picture above now, priced at $34.99. The link immediately above does not get me to that product, though. I went through google and got to the page, but it's "unavailable" ????
If your delivery address is outside the USA it will say unavailable as 'zon are only delivering to a USA address.

Back
Top Bottom