Gillette Pocket Editions

I've got an interesting job in at the moment I thought I'd share.

A brace of lovely Gillette Pocket Editions

The first job was to try and remove the linings. I tried desperately to keep them intact, the purple fared very well (it's actually a cloth covered metal insert), so once the seal with the glue was broken all was good. The green cloth didn't do so well unfortunately. We weren't figuring on being able to save any of the cloth so saving one is a victory.

The next stage is to remove all the old glue, paint etc that's been left behind, so I'm off to the workshop!!!!

I've got to say that I love reading Hippos threads. I look forward to the photographs showing his progress and also the comparisons in the before and after snaps.

I will enjoy watching Hippo work his magic on this one.

Wasn't too familiar with these but saw one at an auction recently. Vine pattern handle with matching case. Gold finish and both the razor and case looked immaculate with absolutely no tarnishing so I'm guessing they'd been restored or left lying around in some long forgotten corner of a former department store! Left a cheeky bid of £25 - £80 it went for! Don't know what they shave like but they are beautifully made razors.

I'll be watching this thread with interest too !
The Green lining I haven't seen before not sure if it's been re lined at sometime, purple is the regular colour.
I like these razors, they shave like the other old types of the period. A different angle is needed, shave with the blade as flat as possible to the face and a light touch.
I can get the best shaves with these razors, 2 1/2 passes where I do 3 1/2 with other razors.

Finally an update on these, which were, shall we say a little interesting to do!! Learnt a lot doing these, had to change the size of some of my tanks to get the cases in too!!

wazza said:
Looks corking. Did you have to split the hinges to replate?

Thanks :D No I managed to replate without having to split them, just, they were about the biggest thing I can happily get a good result on in the current set up.

Back
Top Bottom