Gillette Red Tip

Received this from Mr Scowley for a dose of TLC. I forgot to do any before pics so I stole them from the BST thread, hope that was OK?

So here's what it looked like when it arrived, complete with broken handle.

And here it is with a nice new nickel coat and the head snuggly fitted back into the handle.

All that remains now is the matter of a few coats of paint!

Waiting for this coat to dry now before at least one more coat then a coat of clear varnish to seal it all.

Dobbo25 said:
Of course it is :D.

Its nice to see how it's turned out it looks great.

As a matter of interest, how did you manage to fix the handle securely and what paint are you using?

I remember Dave from Restored Razors did one for me and he said "Hammerite was as near a match to the original colour he could find at the time".

The handle was a much tighter fix once I'd plated it, those few extra microns made a bit of difference. The rest was taken care of by some very small dots of marine epoxy.

I used Humbrol #73 wine something, apparently the closest match avaliable in the UK, it's matt though so I'll varnish it with some semi gloss to get closer to the correct finish.

Scowley said:
Wow, that's looking great Hippo!

What a great looking razor to have as my first vintage, its making me want to collect more ;)

Thanks and the more the merrier! I can't stop buying Fatboys at the moment, I need to choose just one!

Spear321 said:
Wow Hippo great work.

Absolutely stunning, Hippo! You've become the new go to guy for nickel re-plating and restoration of vintage razors. Fantastic work.

Back
Top Bottom