Gillette Rocket?

I picked up a Gillette Rocket for a couple of quid in superb condition Brit. Pat. 694093. Very solid heavy build.
I used it this morning and can say its a very nice razor indeed.
Are they a common razor? There doesn't seem to be much mention of them on here?

I have a Rocket HD. I like the weight although it's a bit on the aggressive side - I often get a nick when I use it. That said, I don't use it all that often and I might be able to handle it better these days.

I get great shaves from my Rockets. I use the Redtip the most these days.

Which type did you buy?

Most/All types are in this post --> http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/gillette-rocket-the-refined-de.8590/

I have a similar identity crisis?.

Here is my HD razor, made in England, weighs in at 74g has II stamped on the underside along with Brit Pat 694093 inside. The knob at the bottom is also solid...

One of my best vintages in use, but not sure if it is a HD Rocket, Parat or something else....

Any ideas? It also appears to have lost some of its plating, I would be interested to know what it was plated with originally.

image_zps1b363abb.jpg

image_zps9eba3569.jpg

image_zps34679b46.jpg

image_zps70099f07.jpg

I looked on Mr razor website, it may well be....

Need to study the pictures and weights again.

Thinking of a replate Brian, maybe black chrome.....

:)

782sirbrian said:
Looks like a HD Rocket to me Cyril, good shavers.

Omp said:
I have a Rocket HD. I like the weight although it's a bit on the aggressive side - I often get a nick when I use it. That said, I don't use it all that often and I might be able to handle it better these days.

Complete opposite for me, its probably the mildest razor ive got. Have you tried a red tip fella.

I have plenty milder like the Feather asd2, a number of Techs, EJ, Weishi. Only my Fatip Picollo is more aggressive. For me, it is on a par with my 37c. Maybe I just haven't used it enough to tame it.

Them's is Rocket HD's for sure but I too find 'em quite mild. However, that is nothing against them as I find them generally excellent. The heavier the Rocket, the better for me.

Cyril, - black chrome replate? Seriously, that sounds absolutely ghastly, old boy.

Gairdner said:
Them's is Rocket HD's for sure but I too find 'em quite mild. However, that is nothing against them as I find them generally excellent. The heavier the Rocket, the better for me.

Cyril, - black chrome replate? Seriously, that sounds absolutely ghastly, old boy.

Same here, Graeme - they're lovely razors, but struggle on occasional multi-day growth. I had mine replated in the original nickel and much prefer the finish to my modern chrome-plated razors.

chrisbell said:
Gairdner said:

Same here, Graeme - they're lovely razors, but struggle on occasional multi-day growth. I had mine replated in the original nickel and much prefer the finish to my modern chrome-plated razors.

Agreed. I also have the fancier #58 with its thick, pin-stripe knurling which needs no such replating and comes with a pretty decent case. I think I will sell that and have the plain old HD replated in the original nickel with some of the proceeds. Somehow, I prefer the simple but solid, work-a-day, blue collar, plain HD to its more sartorial stablemate.

Back
Top Bottom