Gillette Super Adjustable A.K.A. Black Beauty

Some shavers love the Gillette Fat Boy (or 195 to give it its correct title), some shavers love the later Slim Adjustable - and here I count myself as one of them.

Others feel the balance of the 1970's and 1980's Super Adjustable (or Black Beauty as its sometimes known) is far superior.
0af64f45.jpg

So let me compare the three we have here - the 1960's Slim, the 1970's Super and the 1980's longer handled Super.
d26e3f5a.jpg

For me the 1960s (1962 in the picture) Slim offers almost perfect balance between handle and head. So far I have yet to have a poor shave with the Slim regardless of blade used. The razor does not seem biased towards either the head or the handle with both being roughly equal in weight. The twist to open mechanism is at the base of the handle and the adjuster mechanism altering blade exposure is located at the top with gradients 1-9 with 9 offering the highest degree of blade exposure.

The 1970's Super Adjustable (S1 in the picture from 1972) is an altogether different beast, construction differs in the use of a lighter black anodised aluminium handle - though keeping the set up of the TTO mechanism at the base of the handle and adjuster at the top. Because of the handles lighter construction the razor appears very head heavy and as a result requires far less pressure to do the job. For this reason the early Supers have a following

The 1980's Super Adjustable is different again, this one is a 1986 long handle version, but either through cost or as some attempt to redress the balance with regards the head heavy set up of the previous Super, the construction of the head differs significantly by means of a lighter base plate. Myself Im not a big fan of the longer handle, but it does sit well in the hand. The difference in balance is obvious and this harkens back to the 1960's design in being quite even in its weight distribution and as a result the shaver does have to use his judgement when it comes for applying pressure during the shave.

The Acid Test!

Any review and test is going to be subjective - my skin, the blades I use, my lathering technique and my shaving technique will differ from yours.

All three razors were loaded with a Gillette Thai Thin blade (new, not the same one!) and all three were used for 2 consecutive days for a 2 pass and touch up shave.

The Slim:
2 days and 2 very predictable shaves with the razor set on Number 4, no nicks, no roughness and no razor burn. The razor handles well around the face and gets to those awkward bits without any issues.

The 1972 Super Adjustable:
2 days, 2 shaves, set on number 4 - the first one saw a couple of nicks probably from being a little bit over zealous with the pressure I was applying - I backed off the razor to number 3 and carried on for day 2. The result was a pleasant close shave again the razor handles well around the face and gets to the awkward bits without any issues. With time it would be easy to get used to this and shave as rapidly as i do with the Slim. It has in fact found its way into my travel kit. Being an S1 its unlikely to ever get sold or passed on and will probably end up being buried with me.

The 1986 Super Adjustable:
2 days again and 2 shaves starting at number 3 - slightly less enjoyable. The razor due to its length feels bulky in my hand, yet weight wise it feels lighter than the Slim. More pressure is needed when applying to my face than the 1972 version, and dare I say more than the Slim. Yet despite the size of the handle the razor feels at home on my face, finds the awkward bits. I had to increase the setting through 4 and to 5 to achieve the same close shave as I got with a 3 on the 1972 variant, and at 5 I felt blade exposure was a little too harsh.

To conclude - the 1960's slim is still my go-to razor. The 1972 variant with its heavy head with time could take its place as the shave is different and the weight in the head to my mind makes for a close shave with less effort. The plastic head version however will be getting passed on as its not my cup of tea.

Nice review. Great to see the "old technology" winning through, I'm certainly keeping mine!

I've just got a merkur progess which so far is proving very nice, quite a bit more aggressive than the super slim so need a bit more care with it.

Great review, I have owned a few 195 (Fatboy's) in fact I still own 2 but never could find one I liked. I also have owned several slims again I could never take to the razor, for me it somehow just did not fit. As for the short handle Super Adjustable I really like, I find the balance right and it feels good in my hand. It shaves well and I don't get razor burn or nicks unless either I have just changed from a very different razor then it is just down to adjusting my technique.
Not tried the plastic head version of the Super Adjustable so I cannot say anything about that one.
But as you say any review is subjective and I know the Slim has a lot of followers on many forums, just guess each to his own?

As I am new to this forum, and my first post, my thoughts must be taken with a grain of salt. But I definitely have opinions so here goes:

I have now used two different razors, The Long Handled Gillette Super Adjustable and the Merkur 34C. I have also tried eight different blades, two brushes and four soaps. All of these I have tried in every possible combination. ( OK, maybe not all but as many as humanly possible.)

Of the two razors I have tried, the Gillette is hands down my favorite. And to date I prefer it with the Shark Chrome blades and a setting of 4. I double shave and get three wonderful days and after the fourth it's time for a new blade. At only 18¢ a blade, I can afford it. I find it to be very comfortable in my hand, easy to maneuver and an all round pleasure to use.

My son-in-law was the first to go to the DE wet shave and we have been swapping thoughts for a few months. I find it amazing how two people can see and feel things so differently, but such is life. Of coarse I am constantly looking for a better mousetrap but at least for now, I've found a winner.

Thanks to all, for the valuable input I continue to absorb.

wescanfly said:
As I am new to this forum, and my first post, my thoughts must be taken with a grain of salt.
Not at all, the whole subject of DE and SE shaving is very subjective. Techniques vary from person to person and develop over time. What suits my face probably wont suit yours in terms of blade and tool.
Everyones thoughts are valued and worthwhile whether you are a relative newcomer or have been shaving for years.
I have been using my iKon for the last week or so and went back to my silver adjustable you see above this morning - had the best shave in over a week. I used to think the iKon was the dogs, but consistantly get a better shave from the adjustable.

Hey ho - one cost me £100, one cost me £10.

Today I'm smiling as I remember my father, who's name was Ted!

What a great day!

"Thank you, Father Ted."

Father Ted said:
wescanfly said:
As I am new to this forum, and my first post, my thoughts must be taken with a grain of salt.
Not at all, the whole subject of DE and SE shaving is very subjective. Techniques vary from person to person and develop over time. What suits my face probably wont suit yours in terms of blade and tool.
Everyones thoughts are valued and worthwhile whether you are a relative newcomer or have been shaving for years.
I have been using my iKon for the last week or so and went back to my silver adjustable you see above this morning - had the best shave in over a week. I used to think the iKon was the dogs, but consistantly get a better shave from the adjustable.

Hey ho - one cost me £100, one cost me £10.

Father Ted, I have a question about the long handle Black Beauty dating code.

Try though I may, I cannot find a letter code on my razor. Not inside or out. The number 5 is on the outer lower portion of the black plastic but no letter to it's left, or anywhere else for that matter. I am wearing my magnifier watch repair glasses in good lighting and there is no letter that I can find.

The razor is very clean with no visible wear. Any ideas?

Thank you,
Wes

Hello Wes

The long handle one I have now passed on, it wasnt a keeper for me. IIRC the date code is not in the plastic part of the base plate (where it would be on a traditional Gillette with metal base plate) but on the inside when you open the silo doors. I cant remember exactly where - perhaps someone else can throw some light on it.
The number 5 wont be part of the date code, it will be a letter and a number 1-4 (4 quarters of the year).

hey Father Ted,
Well, you're right. I picked up a Gillette Slim, and as much as I like my long handled 80's Super Adjustable, I must admit, the 60's Slim does give a "Very good" shave. And without wanting to go too far out on that limb, a closer, smoother shave than my Black Beauty. I also picked up the 70's version which I will try after giving the Slim one full week.
Thank you for the great review,
Wes

Back
Top Bottom