"Glue" on 7'o clock yellows?!

Hey guys. Im working through a sample lot of blades I got sent from a forum member.

I opened my 7'o clock yellows. ( Never used these before). On each blade wrapper are the words "do not wipe." But each blade in the pack has 4 round splodges of what looks like glue on one side of every blade....

Whats that about like? Are they useable or is it a faulty pack?

I do what Richard does, I slice the glue off with the outgoing blade, just because I'm sad and the glue annoys me slightly. It probably makes not a blind bit of difference to the shave. Watch your fingers though!

The green 7 o'clocks also have glue spots, but for some wierd reason (despite being from the same factory) the glue is nowhere near as thick, and it's in smaller blobs. Tends to be a bit stickier as well, the yellow type is more like hardened wax.

trainman said:
Dipesh said:
Just stick it in your razor spots down and then shave with it.

It works fine for me!

Thats interesting to know,i have always put glue spots up in my tto's hoping the glue would be lost in the space in the head and not gum the razor up.

Dave.

I do mine down, if the glue gets a bit tacky due to the water you rinse your razor being quite warm they glue the doors down in the tto from my experience.

I like shaving with quite hot water though.

The blade also flexes when the doors are tightened down so there isn't really much of a gap above in my razors.

Keep an eye out and see what you think.

I will try glue down but i will say i shave in warm rather than hot water,and there's one thing guaranteed to wind me up and that is those bloody glue spots.

Dipesh said:
trainman said:
Dipesh said:
Just stick it in your razor spots down and then shave with it.

It works fine for me!

Thats interesting to know,i have always put glue spots up in my tto's hoping the glue would be lost in the space in the head and not gum the razor up.

Dave.

I do mine down, if the glue gets a bit tacky due to the water you rinse your razor being quite warm they glue the doors down in the tto from my experience.

I like shaving with quite hot water though.

The blade also flexes when the doors are tightened down so there isn't really much of a gap above in my razors.

Keep an eye out and see what you think.

Northam Saint said:
Just ignore them, it comes off easy enough if it sticks to your razor. A few blades have this glue, I wouldn't try to clean it off, too easy to slice a finger.

nearly did that myself

thats why when i do it i grab my long nose pliers and Stanley knife

Groovy. I did put them back in the wrappers but I'll crack one out next blade change and give it a go. Thanks alot for the blades, Northam. My faves so far are the Sharks and the Astras.

No problem. Glad you are enjoying the blades and your shaving.

The Astra's were £8 for 100 on Amazon a couple of months ago. The sharks were another cheap 100 on EBay.

I must say but as mentioned here you will find your opinion on a blade sometimes changes. I have to admit when I was a newbie, I didn't like the Astra blades, but since my technique has improved I love them. Don't write a blade off being the moral. Sharks were a new blade to me until I too was kindly PIF'd some and they are indeed one I like now too.

Its a weird thing the whole "best blade" situation. I mean, granted, I'm brand new to this hobby - but I kind of feel that I'll try as many as I can and then pick one I like and stick with it. Kind of like smokers do with cigarettes I guess. Otherwise I think I'd drive myself insane.

I've found that my blade choice has changed, initially I really liked the perma Sharp, but now really like the Gillette Slims. I wonder if its the cold weather.

Back
Top Bottom