"Glue" on 7'o clock yellows?!

Re: RE: "Glue" on 7'o clock yellows?!

noobstu said:
Its a weird thing the whole "best blade" situation. I mean, granted, I'm brand new to this hobby - but I kind of feel that I'll try as many as I can and then pick one I like and stick with it. Kind of like smokers do with cigarettes I guess. Otherwise I think I'd drive myself insane.

Ah that would explain a lot. I have too many to choose from. I have favourites and I have rejected a few but I have a lot of brands spread across about 3,200 blades. Some I stocked up on in the early days only to find far better ones later (most swapped sold or piffed). Hunnymonster makes the size of mine look tiny in comparison. (At least that's what all the girls say)

but I kind of feel that I'll try as many as I can and then pick one I like and stick with it

You may well do. You might not necessarily even try a massive amount. I've tried maybe 20 odd which isn't that many compared to some of the lads here, and quite early on I settled on 7 o'clock yellow and/or green. I'm still there, I have about 100 or so of each in the cabinet. Didn't see a need to fiddle much after how decent they were.

There are others lurking in the cabinet but they don't get looked at very often. Maybe occasionally for a giggle.

Here's a quick question to completely derail the thread, but it saves making a brand new one and irritating the mods.

I really like the Shark blades I have tried - the "Super Stainless" ones. I have also seen that there are "Super Chrome" available. Which is meant to be superior? I think I'll have to get my hands on a pack of the Chromes to see how they fair.

noobstu said:
I opened my 7'o clock yellows. ( Never used these before). On each blade wrapper are the words "do not wipe." But each blade in the pack has 4 round splodges of what looks like glue on one side of every blade....

Whats that about like? Are they useable or is it a faulty pack?

I remember reading somewhere that this isn't glue, only a sort of wax which is designed to dissolve in the razor as you shave. The 'do not wipe' thing is about wiping the edge of the blade down after you've finished the shave. This will remove whatever the edge is coated with to help provide a smoother shave - that's why you should rinse the razor clean and shake it dry instead.

Twist To Open is correct, it's not glue but wax. I put the spots down in my razors and I've never had a problem. By the time I change the blade the spots are gone, but I do rinse my razor in very hot water after each shave. I don't bother to remove the blade, I just loosen the razor and rinse in hot water from the tap. By the time I replace the blade the wax is all gone.

One of my go to blades are the Astra SP's. I had the same concerns about the spots at first but I don't give them a second thought any more.

A friend of mine just rinses his blades in rubbing alcohol and the wax just magically disappears.

Twist To Open said:
noobstu said:
I opened my 7'o clock yellows. ( Never used these before). On each blade wrapper are the words "do not wipe." But each blade in the pack has 4 round splodges of what looks like glue on one side of every blade....

Whats that about like? Are they useable or is it a faulty pack?

I remember reading somewhere that this isn't glue, only a sort of wax which is designed to dissolve in the razor as you shave. The 'do not wipe' thing is about wiping the edge of the blade down after you've finished the shave. This will remove whatever the edge is coated with to help provide a smoother shave - that's why you should rinse the razor clean and shake it dry instead.
That is correct, the wax dissolves in water. Most blades nowadays have this wax.

Back
Top Bottom