Graphics Card Recommendations?

Given the beauty to behold in Fallout 4 and GTA V I'm looking to upgrade my PC's graphics card so I can whack up the details and not worry about frame rates.

My current set-up...

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Manufacturer Intel
Speed 3.4 GHz
Number of Cores 4
CPU ID BFEBFBFF000306A9
Family 06
Model 3A
Stepping 9
Revision 1B

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

It's the video card that I'm guessing is holding me back so I'm looking for an upgrade. An Nvidia 970 obviously appeals but is a little too steep pricewise so does anyone know an alternative that'll have me running Fallout 4 on Ultra? Or is it a case of waiting for prices to fall?

Nope - standard 1920x1080 res monitor.....wait did that say 4k a few seconds ago?

There's not much point upgrading your graphics card if the TV monitor cannot display that resolution as you'll never see the benefits, having said that does your motherboard have a spare PCI slot and support SLI? As long as the games are optimised running two identical cards might be a way forward after you've upgraded your display.

Last edited:
That's what I'm thinking Stacy. I've ran the game with all the bells and whistles and it looked brilliant. The frame rate was unplayable though.

Even with everything turned low it sometimes chugs a bit with my current set up. Think I'll sit on my money till the prices of a 970 come down...... And justify a new monitor as well!

I don't disagree about fps and if your chugging in your current set up then a card upgrade will obviously do it. My misunderstanding, when the OP mentioned Ultra it meant the max game resolution setting not Ultra HD which is really another resource game altogether.

Last edited:
1ms response monitors are dropping like a stone in price at the moment as the supply and demand has met its balance, and I agree give it a while and wait for a 970 bargain, DABS can come up with some pretty good deals keep an eye on thier offers.

I race online in a league or 2 and the difference in FPS has made a massive difference to not just playability, my lap times have improved because of it.

I'm just finding that my whole box is in need of an upgrade now .......... But when I pull the trigger on the components, it's going to be a 970 or a 980 depending on what deals I can get at the time .......

It's not perfect ........and it can jerk a little from time to time ....... But my old workhorse isn't doing too bad playing Fallout 4, at a perfectly reasonable quality, considering it's still running on a GTX480 and a museum piece Athlon X2 4200 :D

TBH mine runs Fallout 4 okay at medium quality but I have to scale back on draw distance and details - and given vastness of the map it's a bit of a shame to lose it. Especially when your high up and everything just fades and looks a bit crappy.

Back
Top Bottom