Have you seen this razor?

I've seen a Wilkinson razor, approximate model years 1903-1907, and I can't understand what blade it would use.

Screenshot 2023-06-10 at 02-40-41 Vintage Wlikinson Sword Razor Model 1903 eBay.png

Thanks for replying. Do you mean the Gem blades that go in the Ever Ready 1912?
No, if you mean the Gem blades with a crimped on edge. If you took a straight razor and cut out a section from the centre, with parallel top and bottom, you'd have a similar blade to a Wilkinson. Those razors were a mix between the modern safety and straights.

Wilkinson blades have to be sharpened and stropped like a straight, and Wilkinson were producing these razors up to the Second War. As I understand, Gillette had the patent on their safety razor blade for some years, and firms like Wilkinson and Star made the blades for their models as proprietary and non-disposable items. I have old Wilkinsons, a couple boxed with strop and 7 blades for each day of the week.

No, if you mean the Gem blades with a crimped on edge. If you took a straight razor and cut out a section from the centre, with parallel top and bottom, you'd have a similar blade to a Wilkinson. Those razors were a mix between the modern safety and straights.

Wilkinson blades have to be sharpened and stropped like a straight, and Wilkinson were producing these razors up to the Second War. As I understand, Gillette had the patent on their safety razor blade for some years, and firms like Wilkinson and Star made the blades for their models as proprietary and non-disposable items. I have old Wilkinsons, a couple boxed with strop and 7 blades for each day of the week.
Thanks for the information. I won't go for it. If you're interested, the razor is currently on eBay. I love the look of it.

Screenshot_20230610-180950_Chrome.jpg
Here's my Rapide with wedge blade. You can use a GEM Blade, I usually put a GEM spine shim under the back edge to replicate the edge angle.
Cracking shavers.
Also see below.

Back
Top Bottom