Having lather problems

Hmm as has already said it will always be a little bit different each time you make a lather. I looked at your pics posted and the lather looks ok it can take about a min of continuous whisking with the brush to get an ok lather. I'm thinking that if its drying out on your face it might be that you are shaving slowly because I remember it happening to me when I just started shave with a DE razor and I was using Geo Trumpers Limes cream at the time.

Ok, figured I'd give a small update.
Lately I've been shaving using creams and bowl lathering still. However I started to just create a small amount of lather in the bowl and would then proceed to face lather, I noticed this was giving me a better lather than straight bowl lathering. So tonight I decided that I'd go back to this soap and skip the bowl entirely and just face lather. What can I say? I think I just got my very first BBS! My face is so lovely and smooth I can't believe it. That's it, from now on I'm going to try out face lathering to see if this keeps up. There must be something going on with my bowl lathering that's been causing me these problems. Thanks again for all the help guys.

I know that it's cheating! And doing it may label you as a lather criminal! But, what works is just going down to the druggist and buying some liquid GLYCERIN and add 5or6 drops into your lather bowl or cup along with the soap or cream. As with pepper in beer it adds nicely to the HEAD.
just whip it up as you normally do and see if it helps.

Medically it's sold as a skin protectant.

I know I'm a bit late to the party here, but in the steps you list in the first post, you don't mention any preparation steps for the soap.

If using a hard soap, you'll find adding a few drops of water to the top of the soap and letting it sit like that for a minute or so (for as long as you let the brush soak) will greatly help you load up your brush with soap.

Yep, softening the soap beforehand with a teaspoonful of warm water or so was the first thing that came to my mind too. My Wool Fat doesn't get a look in during the summer and winds up looking very unpromising and rock-like by this time of year - a ten minute soaking rehabilitates it perfectly though. If I didn't do that I suspect that it would be like trying to get lather out of a stone.

Back
Top Bottom