HDMI cables

If the cable carries a digital signal, then the cable will either work or it won't. There is no "quality" boost by using expensive linear-crystal oxygen-free copper with gold foil shielding.
Having said that, there is some signal degradation over long distances with poor cables, but I paid about 2 quid for a 8M HDMI cable and it works just fine.
There's absolutely no point in spending crazy amounts of money on digital cables unless you're using them to span 100's of meters.
Analog cables are a completely different story however...

'ecky... me thread's kicked off again!

Anyway... the length of my cable is 1.5m, and it cost bugger all... and I can discern no difference in quality when I compare to the direct signal (ie when the digital box isn't switched in)... so I'm quite happy with that.

Digital signal is either there or it isn't but poorly constructed cables and connectors can caused signal loss/break up. Cables that are constructed well should be more reliable and robust but you don't need to spend loads, some of the cheaper options are fine. If you're running 100s of metres you're into transmitters and receivers and solid core, fibre cable (cat5, cat6 etc.) but unless your living room is a heck of a lot bigger than mine that kind of kit would be unnecessary.

Back
Top Bottom