Heads Up Simpson Quality Issues

Mark from Simpsons used to be a member here - i wonder where he is these days?

Touring Europe, the lucky git :D

Simpsons_zpsgbg1zo4h.png

Also my experience hence my initial cynicism about this being a huge problem that spans the entire catalogue which seems to be what was implied. If I were a Simpson's rep I would certainly be stepping in to set the record straight, that's all I meant in my previous reply.

I hear you, but the OP was about synthetics, and the thread sort of morphed right away into badgers. Apologies if I pounced.

Simpson badgers having a reputation as shedders is nothing new, some of it because of the high density of their knots and not all of the hair being attached when they are built. There can be a certain amount of hair that needs to work itself out, and I think some people press the panic button a little quickly. This seems to be continually addressed by Simpson and some of their more full service vendors. I own eight of them, (have sold several more), all bought new, and spent more time babysitting most of them to get all of the loose hairs worked out than any other brushes I have owned. Compared to the other high end brushes I own, I almost wonder why I ever bother. In the end though, not one of them has turned out to be a shedder. I completely understand though when people say they won't buy another one because of that. Why would you when you could buy a Shavemac for considerably less and likely not lose a single hair? For me, the fretting over it for a couple months is more irritating than anything.

Aside from the issues of working out loose hairs Simpson seems to have a rep for "shedders", more than say Shavemac or Thater. I have never heard of them leaving someone hanging if the issue was properly addressed with them within a year of purchase. It is a PITA to be sure, but most forum users know the risk going in, and Simpson must take good enough care of everyone else, because they still sell a ton of brushes.

Anyway, sorry if I jumped all over your post, I probably wasn't interpreting your bigger picture view very well.

How,long did it sit, and did you soak it while it was "out of play"? Shedding, and bristles breaking off are two different things. You say it settled down now, just made me wonder.....
It was back in the box after being cleaned. Brought it back into use as normal. Got the feeling it was shedding from the knot and not breaking off. At one point it was shedding 5+ fibres per shave. It seemed more a glue problem which made me wonder about the use of very hot water. Never had a problem with the Chinese brushes.

EBay has been Full of Simpson Shedders for Years that Folks have Off Loaded..Just about Every Simpson Brush Advertised 2nd Hand on EBay Said..Not a Shedder because it Was Known Back then there Were Issues with Some..I have One & Although its a Decent Brush its Way Overrated..o_O

Forums Were Guilty as they Often are for Turning Certain Items Into Some Sorta Witchy Poo All Singing All Dancing Cult..Simpsons Brushes Fell into that Camp..Big Time..;)

A Shedder is a Shedder..We All Know What a Shedder is..:eek:

Billy

Back
Top Bottom