Hello Chaps

Hello gents,

My name is James and I live in Bradford.
I have been DE shaving for a while now but still a little green with the straights.
I am a member or Badger & Blade and SRP and always willing to learn new information and techniques.
I live within walking distance from the Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap factory and recently popped in for a chat (really nice chap)
Till two months ago I used a 1904 DE (really like this razor and the small handle is comfy), but then the time had come to make that move to a straight, so after much research and not wanting to spend too much I opted for a Muhle 5/8 hollow carbon steel. I also purchased a Dovo shavette for travel. I found various issues with the Muhle from the start - the blade was sharp and I was able to shave with it but I had reservations if it was truly shave ready (even though it "just" passed the HHT) and I struggled with my small Dovo strop.
I have been in contact with Neil Miller and the Executive Shaving Company and have just sent it off for honing. The problem was after looking on Neils web page I ended up purchacing a Filarmonica ! The straight bug has got me !!!!
Anyway enough of my waffle, I just thought I would introduce myself Hi.

Hello and welcome to TSR James! :D

I happen to think Filis are excellent newbie straights, so I think you did well. My theory re the Filis, is that they´re very easy to shave with/use and that´s one part of them being so hyped. Never the less, they´re very good shavers and buying from Neil you´ll know you got the best possible edge! I think I´ll use my Filli today, thanks for the tip! :D

Greetings from foggy Keighley, James! Bet you'll tell me it's a glorious spring day in Wibsey.

Please don't get hung up on the HHT: it's useful for honers, but it's how a razor shaves which should matter to the end user.

Good day & welcome Barrington. Only "tip" I can offer re straight razor shaving is that when I was learning I found that for some reason I always tended to let the angle between the blade and the skin increase unless I really concentrated on keeping it down. Needless to say I picked up many a minor nick through inadvertently attempting to shave with a blade approaching right angles to my face.

JohnnyO. \ :shave

Welcome! Is it really you?! :eek:

Barrington-r.jpg

Back
Top Bottom