Hello everyone!

Hello

I have been thinking of 'taking the plunge' for a while now...finally did it a couple of days ago and man, I am hooked. That's not to say I haven't had my share of cuts though...so far, well worth it! I found the Mantic intro and some of the other info on that part of the forum very useful indeed! Thank you to all those who have contributed.

I had a look around today for a Merkur 34c - which seems to be the consensus razor to start with and I am sure I will eventually get it. At the moment, I just use the basic Wilkinson from Boots, together with their own lather cream, also got one from body shop today (purple tub - dont remember the name :oops: ) and a brush from Men U (iirc - again :oops: ).

Any suggestions? I am looking to buy a pack of sample blades now...should I buy the merkur or wait? any particular place that might help me save on the initial layouts?

See you on the boards :hungrig

Welcome to TSR

The Merkur will be a great choice. I started with it (34c) and after trying many others still haven't really bettered it. Only you can decide how quickly you want to move on. My golf improved best with practice, much as I enjoyed buying new gear!

Hello and welcome to TSR, Billy :D

I'm not familiar with modern DEs, in fact I'm not even much of a safety razor user these days, but a consensus appears to have emerged here that either the aforementioned Merkur or an Edwin Jagger DE whatever the number is would be the way to go. Chances are you'll wind up buying one soon enough, so you may as well get it over with.

Razor - would be very good if you would get the EJ DE87 soon to replace your existing razor, it's around 15 quid from Amazon. Alternatively you can get a 34C (or even a 33C) either here from the B/S/T or from any vendor. Mind you that these are razors you will keep and use for many many years.

Brush - look at the B/S/T regularly. Very nice boar or low-end badger brushes come up often at excellent prices.

Blades - as per Audio's comment.

Shave cream - The Body Shop Maca Root shave cream is a very nice product, lathers exceptionally well and will assist in getting good shaves.

Welcome billy sign up to this thread ;)

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9126">viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9126</a><!-- l -->

Hi & welcome BillyH. The Muehle or Edwin Jagger 89 razors are also very nice indeed & a bit less expensive than the 34. If you want to drop me a pm I'll post you down a couple of different blades to try just to give you an idea of how they can vary. Or, you may want to consider buying a sampler from Connaught Shaving.

Whatever you decide on, enjoy the journey.

JohnnyO. \ :D

Hello and welcome to TSR Billy :)
Merkur or Jagger is an excellent choice and keep an eye open for one of the many Gillette twist to open razors that come up in the BST section. Probably be your second razor :D
regards, beejay

Hi Billy..Welcome to TSR. The Merkur 34c is a popular razor,and it was one I considered before I opted for the Edwin Jagger DE89L. The choice is of course yours to make, look at video reviews on You Tube to help you decide, look for geofatboy and mantic59 they offer excellent reviews and advice.

Back
Top Bottom