Hello from a lurker

Thought I should stop being a lurker here and there so just signed up.
How are you all today, had a good shave?
My shave history - never liked aerosol products - left skin too dry. So I used squeezy gels with latest multiblade razors. Did a decent job - real smooth shave unless I tried to get too close a shave or should have changed the cartridge. Still needed to use after shave balm and moisteriser to deal with dry skin after.
Started to use Palmolive stick and badger brush 2 weeks ago - loved it - less drying, cheaper and nicer to do.
Then took the plunge and my Merkur 38c came just now with Indian Gillete Wilkinson Sword blade pack.
Horrible first attempt even after watching many videos!
3 small bleeds that stopped with cold water but have tissue stuck to chin as we speak - may have been a small spot there.
My growth is all over the place so not yet sure how to deal with it on the jaw line and neck.
I did a sort of 2 pass shave - mainly wtg but was xtg in some spots on the same pass due to growth pattern.
Shave is not as smooth as hoped for and feels drier/tighter than I expected.
Going to persevere and try again after get a styptic pencil.
Should I expect a really smooth shave from D.E shaving?
Any one got experience of the blade I just used? - also came with one Mekur Platinum to try.
Are other soaps or creams more moisuterising then Palmolive sticks?

Well that's more than enough for now - off to check my chin :) !

Mand

Hi Mand, welcome to TSR! :D

Just to answer a couple of your questions - the Palmolive stick could be all you need in a soap. There are better products out there, but not much, and all more expensive. That said it's great fun trying other soaps and creams. Your technique will improve with practice and one day soon you will achieve a really smooth shave. Just get used to the gear you have for a little while. Then change things one at a time. Good luck!! :p

What ho Mand?

The Indian Wilkinson blades are dire, in my experience. Get the sample pack from Paul.

A little blood? Just dollop some talc on the cut and it stops it pretty quickly. Bugger the tissues.

USE ABSOLUTELY NO PESSURE with your new 38c. REPEAT, NO PRESSURE! Stay away from 'against the grain' also.

In the short term get some Tesco or Asda own brand (they are Israeli Personnas) they are rather decent.

Stick at it Mand!

:)

My growth is all over the place so not yet sure how to deal with it on the jaw line and neck.

Mapping. Have a good feel, you soon get used to growth direction.
To help yourself, do your first pass as best you can with the grain, then rinse. As you splash some warm water on, have a good feel around, it gives you a good idea of where you need to be heading, direction wise, on the 2nd pass.

Should I expect a really smooth shave from D.E shaving?

Yes, eventually, but don't try to run yet. Give yourself maybe 10-14 days of relearning your face, and just aim for a presentable, comfortable shave. Closeness comes with better technique... don't worry it doesn't take that long. I've only been doing it 6 weeks, I was proficient within about two.

Top tips (some of which I'm repeating from above, but they're that good they deserve it):

Allow yourself extra time for a shave so you don't rush.
Watch Mantic's videos.
Ease off the pressure.
Enjoy the learning experience and accept it won't be perfect in the first few shaves.

Hello!

Blyth Spirit said:
In the short term get some Tesco or Asda own brand (they are Israeli Personnas) they are rather decent.

:)

I'm new here too and fairly new to DE razors too and I've found the ASDA Personnas, from Israel, to be a very happy medium...

Thanks for the welcome and tips so far guys.
I bought my razor from Paul at Connaught who has just explained that he is out ot Personnas (which I should have got) at the moment s ohe put the Indian W.S blades in instead.
Had a look at mystubble growth today - grows differently on either side!
Found out about 'bullfrog techinque' which may suit me.
Just need hair to grow faster so I can try again :lol:

mand

Hey all good.
Its taken me about 4 weeks to start to get a good shave.
That said if sold my merk and gone for vintage gillettes.
They suit me far better.
Sometimes I just go for a shave for the hell of it!!
I echo all of the advice. Especially no pressure, map your beard and dont try for a close shave, just good technique.
My shaves are getting closer now so dont rush it.
I find that te end result is just the tip of the ice berg. looking after yourself is what counts.
Cheers,
Tim

Back
Top Bottom