Hello from Dunlop in Scotland.

Hi folks new to the forum and thought I would introduce myself.

I have been DE shaving for about 4 months now.

I use Palmolive and Tabac shave sticks. Have had a couple of shaves with Arko recently. Merkur progress usually with persona blades. Alum afterwards and then a moisturiser.

Usually 2 pass shave with occasional 3 pass if required.

Had been having great results with good progress in my technique.

However I have hit a problem. I started using the white top jar of proraso pre shave cream. I put it on before lathering and post alum block. Now it definitely gets a better shave and it feels good but I have noticed since I started using it I have noticed one or 2 little red bumps on my jaw line which are a little itchy.

So what do you think is this a reaction to the proraso or could this be ingrown hairs. I have no rash or anything like that. I have ordered some Thayers witchhazel with aloe today and a sample blade pack from Connaught.

I am sorry if the question part of this post should not be in the introduction section just getting used to the forum. Is it irritation or ingrowns. My shave is very smooth and I feel very little razor burn at the end.

By the way should you use Witch hazel instead of alum or post alum.

Any way love the forum and all the tips looking forward to spending some quality time here.

Cheers

Ross

Hello Ross, welcome to the forum. :)

I'd be a bit surprised if the Proraso was causing trouble, but it's a possibility - usually that sort of thing is down to overshaving but it sounds like you're being sensible about that. Probably best just to cut it out for a week or two and see whether the situation improves. You do seem to have quite a few products in play, and sometimes that leads to problems - Proraso, soap, alum, Proraso again, moisturiser, and maybe some witch hazel soon - you could afford to ditch a couple of those I reckon.

Hi and welcome.
Not sure what your bumps are......Stop using the Proraso and see if the bumps go I guess.
There are so many different horses for courses on here I wouldn't know where to begin. I've tried not to get too hung up about the end result and just enjoy the 'getting there' bit.
I have never used witch hazel and only alum once or twice if I've had a rash. I use a pre shave cream (lush) the same brush a New Forest 2213 different razors and creams and blades and always (well nearly always!) Prof Blightys yellow unction. In fact I ordered more today!! I have a default blade I use for new razors a Gillette 7 o'clock yellow and a default shave cream too and that is proraso white tub again for new razors/blades. But I am Mr chop and change generally. I've tried quite few razors, 90 per cent vintage. 80pc Gillette. I have no experience with the Progress.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap

have a look at this chart on blade gaps and you will see where the progress fits in with how aggressive it is against othere razors so that be worth keeping an eye on.
Enjoy, oh and just when you thought to use no pressure on the head, use less!!!!
Cheers,
Slikki

I'd echo that from Beejay. I used to shave with pre-shave oil, soap, after shave balm / moisturiser, and even though I didn't get any irritation I'm now shaving simply with soap and finishing with only cold water, maybe a witch hazel based splash. I'm certainly no worse off and my skin is in good condition.
The "back to basics for a week" advice is often given here and usually works. You can then add products one by one and then you'll know for sure what's causing your irritation. To be honest it sounds like you're at a point where it shouldn't be the shaving itself. I'd guess that it's the Proraso disagreeing with your skin (even though it's good stuff).

Welcome by the way Ross!

Hey guys thanks alot for the welcome. I totally agree with the back to basics. Initially when I started shaving I bought on the advice of a shop trufit and hill shave oil Taylors of Bond street cream and merkur razor blades. Through trial and error I found the palmolive stick to give me the best shave. I should just keep it simple but I am acquiring this over whelming desire to get more and more stuff in the quest for perfection. Perhaps I was a little to influenced by you tube and some of the suggestions. I will take the advice and stick to soap alum and moisturiser and see what happens.

However I have decided to try some of Nannys silly soaps because they seem to come highly rated. Perhaps I will end up buying the odd different razor rather than spending lots of pennies on various potions.

I will keep you posted with the progress.

Cheers

Ross

PS any further advice always welcome

Hi & very welcome G.Inman. I'm guessing that if the white bunmps started around the time you introduced the Proraso there's probably a link. Far as I know these wee bumpies are excess keratin or summat similar, which get deposited as sedum like collections here and there if you have an excess of it.

If stopping using it brings about an improvement you've cracked it & all is well. If you still want to try a pre or post balm or oil you may want to think about a glycerine prep and, as suggested witch hazel preparation post shave.

Hope it works out.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Hi Ross welcome to the forum.

One thing you don't mention is how often you shave. Do you shave every day? If so it might be worth shaving every other day.

Just a thought!;)

Hi guys thanks for the warm welcome. To answer some of the questions here is my routine in full.

Fill sink with hot water sit brush and razor in sink. Also sit my stick soap in a little bowel of water tip down.

Shower
Lather soap and apply. (few days ago started putting on poraso preshave cream White)
Shave with merkur and personna usually. Usually 2 pass shave sometimes 3 pass.
Cold water rinse
Alum block
Rinse (Again few days ago started putting on poraso preshave cream)
Air dry.
Mositurer.

Prior to the proraso I was having no problems with these red bumps. I only have one or 2 and a little itchy which would suggest a reaction.

I shave every day pretty much.

So I am going to cut out the proraso for a time I think.

By the way how do you guys use the witch hazel?

Cheers Ross

Any further advice always welcomed.

Well, there may be an approved method, but I just use witch hazel pretty much like aftershave - tip a bit in one hand, rub hands together and slap myself about a bit. It's good stuff, and an ingredient in quite a few aftershave splashes: it comes in as a scent-free alternative that won't clash with a cologne.

Back
Top Bottom